Thursday, April 5, 2012

New Roses

Nothing to do with vegetables or raised beds, but it does relate to my new garden.  I got three climbing roses, New Dawn.  I ripped down my Virginia Creeper and dug out enormous roots.  I know some will still come back up, I read they are nearly impossible to get rid of.  They were beautiful in the fall, a glorious red covering the overhang and screening fence, but most of the vines were ages old and dead.

Virginia Creeper in October - hard to believe I would tear it down! 
I received the plants the day before yesterday.  Two look fine, with  teeny buds (white from lack of sunlight), but one looks dead.  I will plant it and see what happens, bare root can be deceptive.  I am mad at myself for not doing my research before ordering.  I had no idea that Jackson and Perkins was no longer in Oregon.  They had a great reputation, great roses, and my plants wouldn't have to be transported very far.  But, they went out of business and apparently another company bought the name.  If they bought the actual rose varieties I don't know.  What I do know is that my tracking information showed the roses coming from South Carolina.  South Carolina?  I would never have ordered live plants to be delivered from the opposite coast!  So, I will see how well they do...

They were soaked in a pail of water as per directions. I trimmed the roots 1" per Internet instructions.  Then out into the sunshine to dig holes. Only the sunshine turned to hail as I dug...
One of their beds in next to the asparagus (no asparagus yet, though I see the roots in the stores are still dormant) right by the overhang.  The other will be by one of the sides of the screen.  This "screen" is just some lattice on 2 x 4s.  The overhang lattice was rotted from the Virginia Creeper, so I removed that and my son put up lath.  I wanted lattice, but it was too big.  The hardware store no longer cuts lattice in half for customers, and I can't fit 8' in my Explorer.  

Rose Planting Bed (for 2 roses)
The holes were a little smaller than recommend, but the ones in the bed shown above fit nicely.  The other hole was harder to dig, full of roots and that d*** black plastic I find under everything in this yard!  Even the cedar trees.  The wooden planter boxes on the deck have a liner of old potting soil bags.  I can't dig but find more black plastic.

They are planted, and naturally watered by the hail and rain.  Now the waiting begins...


No comments:

Post a Comment