Friday, May 4, 2012

Too Many Seeds

I have been reading All New Square Foot Gardening, and finding I am still doing it all wrong.   I don't plan on mixing my own soil, but I am planting way too many seeds!

Just take a look at my kale...
Or my radishes...
And my lettuces...


All wrong.  I can see how the square foot method does save space, and seeds.  I sowed most of the expensive Wild Harvest Mix lettuce seeds just for this one bed, and what did it get me?  A mess of teeny tiny lettuces that are a pain to thin.  If I had done it right I would have made 16 little holes in a square foot and dropped a few seeds into each. By now I would only have to cut away all but one per hold.
The kale is OK since I won't be letting it mature.  It is not for human consumption, but for Martha the Guinea pig.  As I thin them they go to Martha.  Some of them are very attractive plants.  They too are called Wild Harvest Mix.

Now, if I can only remember this lesson when I plant the beans in a few weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment