Thursday, June 7, 2012

After the Storm

Once the sun came out, and the water drained away, I (a modern day Noah) was able to assess the hail damage of the 4th. 

1) The Cinderella pumpkins were hit hard, but look like they will bounce back.  The smaller pumpkins, Jack B  Little and Baby Boo (yes, we bought that variety for its name!) suffered no damage whatsoever.  Strange.

Cinderella Pumpkin Hail Damaged Leaves


 2) The cantaloupe may never recover...

Charentais Cantaloupe Hail Damaged Plant

4) Only my biggest, and best pepper plant (Quadrato D'Asti Rosso) was shredded.  Full recovery is doubtful. 

Hail Damaged Sweet Pepper

5) My lemon cucumbers, the ones I finally got to go, suffered  minor damage, some rips and holes punched in the leaves.  A few Jade beans suffered holes, as did the eggplant.  Miraculously the majority of the Jade beans are looking healthy and growing well!  (And this reminds me of a movie I watched on TV late one night, or very early one morning before my daughter was born, The Milagro Beanfield War.  Milagro meaning miracle, and featuring bean plants!)

Eggplant
Lemon Cucumber



Jade Bush Bean
6) Sadly, the ripening strawberries seem to have been damaged.  They have dark bruised areas, like dents.  Probably are dents!  Hopefully the smaller berries yet developing will be free from these.

Are there blemishes hail related?  I sure hope so!


7) I am not sure about the tomato plants.  They are looking a bit ragged, the leaves have some discoloration.  I will put it down to hail bruises and keep my fingers crossed.



The Summer Dance cucumbers and the Turban Gourds had no damage at all. They are in planters near the small pumpkins, against a chain link fence at the back of the yard.  Even though that location is more out in the open for some reason the hail didn't hit there so severely.

In the midst of all this, the Capitano bush beans have managed to come up. 

Capitano Bush Beans
Next up: Tomato update!  The Good, the Bad, and Mr. Stripey!


No comments:

Post a Comment