Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Squash Bugs Won... and other news

I had to remove all but two of the pumpkin vines.  Even the ones with small pumpkins.  The vines were nearly dead, and more leaves were yellowing daily, while the pumpkins themselves had stopped growing weeks ago.  I didn't compost them, as there were squash bug nymphs and eggs on them, I threw them in the garden waste trash bin (with lid).  The remaining vines look green and healthy, and I am doubling my bug finding efforts, but it may not be enough.

Cinderella Pumpkin Bed (what's left)
There is hope for more pumpkins from the healthy vines, but so far I am only getting one.  I think it is big enough, and ripe enough (orange at least) to be fine with what I did to it!  While trimming back dead and dying vines I cut its lifeline to the plant!  I buried the stem hoping it would root at the joints.  So, the Cinderella pumpkins are mostly a loss this year.  I may not bother with them next year, now that I have experienced squash bugs.


On a happier note:  I am enjoying the cherry tomatoes, Sungold!  I do not have a photo of the "first fruits" since I ate them before I remembered to document their ripening!

Lemon cucumbers are forming like crazy.  They suck up water like mad; I have to water them morning and evening. 

Lemon Cucumber


We have eaten 4 Wonder Bell peppers.

The Ace and Japanese Trifele tomatoes are doing very well.
The Japanese Trifele is forming an amazing number of pear shaped fruit.  I  hope they taste good!  Legend is nearly dead, but Mr. Stripey is setting fruit at last!  Yellow Brandywine is just starting to set fruit, but is healthy with lots of blossoms.  Its leaves are huge!  Yellow Brandywine and Japanese Trifele are the first tomatoes I have grown with potato shaped leaves.  They look so healthy and strong! 

Mr. Stripey July 25

Ace July 25

Yellow Brandywine July 25 (only a mid-sized leaf!)
Japanese Trifele July 25

The eggplant is forming new fruit.  We haven't eaten any yet.

The few large bean plants are putting out lots of pods, but not enough for a meal yet.  The Capitano beans are forming flat pods that are turning gold.  The ones I planted a week or so ago are growing nicely, but I am not sure they will manage to do much before the end of the season.

Capitano July 25
I have a baby watermelon!  It is so cute, but I am pretty sure not going to grow to size!

Sugar Baby Watermelon July 25


I am freezing the blackberries as they ripen, trying to save enough for a pie! 

Ripening Himalayan Blackberries

I rearranged the area surrounding the compost pile, putting in new straw to keep down the dreaded foxtails.  They are under better control than last summer. 


The weeds you see here on the other side of the fence (my back fence with an empty lot on the other side) were cut down a few days ago, right to the fence line.  Nice.  But, now there is less privacy and Boo is afraid of the people and cars he now can see in the driveway of the duplex on that street!  The others, Cookie and Edward bark more.

 Boo July 5
Edward "laughing" July 3
Cookie June 16
I am off now to do my morning "bug check" and water the cucumbers!

No comments:

Post a Comment