Tuesday, August 7, 2012

So Much is Growing and I Haven't Shared...

There is so much growth going on, and more harvests happening, and time just got away from me. I have a backlog of photos to share. Today will feature Cantaloupe, Watermelon, and Pumpkins. 

CANTALOUPE:  I don't think I mentioned that I found some baby cantaloupes!  They weren't all that tiny that I should have missed them either.  These are Charentais.

Cantaloupe August 6

Cantaloupe August 6

WATERMELON:  The watermelon are the cutest little things!  These are Sugar Baby.  You can see another even littler one forming in the upper right of the photo. 

Sugar Baby Watermelon August 6

PUMPKINS:  Well, most of the plants had to be pulled out due to those nasty squash bugs and their damage.  There were three left, but last night one was completely wilted so I pulled it out. No bugs, or damage, just limp.  So, I am down to two plants, with a few small pumpkins.  There was a female blossom yesterday, but no male for pollination.  I picked the one ripe pumpkin, cooked it, and make pumpkin cookies (recipe to follow)!  I am used to pumpkins that are mostly hollow, filled with nasty slippery string stuff and seeds.  Cinderella is full.  After removing the seeds you are still left with the same basic amount of flesh as the other kinds.  Once cooked (just chopped up and simmered on the stove) I was pleased to see that I barely had to mash it at all.  No stringy mess, just drained and stirred a bit and it was ready to use!

Cinderella Pumpkin

Cinderella Pumpkin Interior

Pumpkin Cookies
Pumpkin Cookie Recipe:  

2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

Sift together.

1/2 cup shortening (I only use Crisco brand)
1/2 cup margarine (softened cube)
1 cup sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream the shortening, margarine, and sugar together.  Mix the egg, pumpkin, and vanilla, then add to shortening mixture.  Cream together.  Add to dry ingredients.

Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet (use a spray or grease between each batch).  I use a pretty big spoon, probably like 2 TBS. worth of batter.
375 degrees for about 8 minutes.  Check.  They won't look very brown on top, but the bottoms will be browned and the tops set.  Remove from sheet and cool on wire racks.  Let the cookie sheet cool before the next batch.  This is important, or the cookies will be too brown on the bottom.  When cool, frost. 

Frosting: 

3 TBS margarine
4 TBS milk
1/2 cup brown sugar

Mix in small pan and bring to boil.  Stir and boil 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and cool.
When cool, stir in the following until smooth.

3 cups powdered sugar (it might take a bit less or a bit more to make the frosting thick enough to spread and not run)
3/4 tsp. vanilla

If you like (I do!), sprinkle still soft frosting with walnut pieces.  This recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies. 

My daughter and I just had some of these for breakfast!  They aren't much to look at, but, boy, are they delicious!  



No comments:

Post a Comment