Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cabbage White Butterflies

Cabbage whites.  Those pretty little butterflies you see flitting about the garden.  Harmless, I used to think.  That was before I planted "cabbage" in the form of Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli! 

I went out the other morning to this:

Cabbage Lopper Damage - the larvae of the Cabbage White Butterfly - October 8
The culprit hides on the undersides of the leaves:

Cabbage Lopper - so small for so many holes!

Since I am not an "organic" gardener (meaning I try not to use chemicals, but when insects threaten, out comes the Sevin!), I sprayed the leaf tops and bottoms.  The "organic" solution is Bacillus thuringiensis, but I am not sure I like that idea any better than the poisons I currently use.  Something about introducing a bacterium into my soil that just doesn't seem right!  Sort of like introducing rabbits to Australia.  If they weren't there to begin with, there is a reason for it. 

If we ignore the holes, the plants are doing well!  I am not sure which this  is, my labels got mixed up.  This may be a broccoli.  Or not.  The photo was taken a few days before the major caterpillar damage.

Broccoli/Cauliflower/Brussels Sprout - October 4
Hero bugs appeared a few days too early.  They are so creepy, yet so beneficial!  This one looks like it is pointing at something. 

Praying Mantis on Cole Crop - October 4

No comments:

Post a Comment