Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Preparing for Winter

Winter sneaks up on me.  So does rainy weather.  That's why the shed is still not sealed against the rain!  My son and I started to do it a few days ago, found we bought the wrong product (we wanted something paint-able, not the consistency of black marshmallow whip).  Then the next day it rained.  One outside wall of the shed is down to nearly all bare particle board.  Who puts particle board on an exterior wall?  Even painted, it just isn't for that.  This is as far as we got...

Shed "Repairs" are ongoing - October 11
I did finish putting in new "bender board" and bark to separate two areas in the far back. 

Not actual bender board, but I like how it turned out. I don't have a saw, so I used cedar fence boards and stakes.  I hope this will help keep the bark in place when it floods back there later in the season. 
I need to get a few more sacks of bark.  I used to criticize my mother (oh, not to her face!) for using bark, but now I see it does have its place and uses. 

My son and I seeded a cover crop of rye (perennial this year, last year we used annual) in the far back.  After watering it is very green back there, but I am not sure how much of that is rye and how much is weeds.  It doesn't really matter to me, anything green keeps the mud down and the dog's feet cleaner!

My Cover Crop - for some reason it is from Denmark!

Far Back Greening Up - October 13
What isn't working, that I can tell, is the lawn patch I bought.  Scotts PatchMaster.  

Seed, fertilizer, and mulch all in one, I tried it on a small bare patch of lawn.  Nothing has germinated as yet after a few weeks. Just a wet mash of what looks to be paper pulp.  When dry it resembled our rat's bedding. 

Lawn Seeding Experiment - October 8 (tomato cage to keep dogs off!)


No comments:

Post a Comment