Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Gardening Symposium - sessions two and three

From Radicchio to Romaine and Beyond: Growing Fall and Winter Harvested Vegetables was the second session on Saturday.  This was the one I was most looking forward to, and was the one that most disappointed me.  The presenter was new, and it was obvious.  She was not prepared, and started out the session by singing while accompanying herself on the ukelele!  Her "presentation" was mainly her PowerPoint presentation of photos of her garden, actually her business.  She sells transplants at the farmer's markets in the area.  My notes?  The titles of two gardening books, the URL for a PBS gardening series, that Dr. Earth is a good fertilizer brand, she uses soy meal, and Summer Crisp Lettuce is good to grow. No photos relating to this class, so here's my current winter garden...


Session three, right after lunch (more on that later) was Pretty as a Picture.  I actually enjoyed this more than I expected.  Not so much for the presentation on photographing flowers, as for learning more about cameras and their functions.  Terminology such as Aperture, Depth of Field, ISO, Historgram, etc. were explained.  A good composition would include correct placement of the subject, or center of interest.

Center of interest is best offset.  One way to do this is to picture a tic-tac-toe board, with the center of interest going where one of the lines intersect. The subject, or center of interest will be 1/3 from the top or bottom, or right or left. This is called "the rule of thirds."  Another way is what is called the "golden triangle," where you imagine a line from one corner to the other, then 90 degree lines from the other corners to the center line. There are other ways to do the angles, but we talked about this way.  My illustration is terrible, since it looks like a square instead of a rectangle, but you should be able to get the idea!  Your subject will be at the intersection of the lines, where I put the circles.  Make sense?  Search online for "golden triangle" and "rule of thirds." 

Golden Triangle
 I guess this photo of a gazania illustrates what I mean.  The center is off center.

Gazania
Of course, we talked about how soon digital cameras need to be replaced with ones offering more features.  Ha!  I can't afford that, so I will stick to my Sony Cyber-shot, which is probably 7 years old.

Lunch.  It was delicious!  A choice of wraps, chicken or vegetarian, or pulled pork barbeque on a roll.  Waldorf salad and veggie pasta salad. I don't usually like Waldorf, as I dislike mayonnaise in most things, but this didn't take mayoish.  Apples, walnuts, raisins, and celery in something white that was quite tasty.  Dessert was pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting, and fresh pears out of the Extension orchards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment