Thursday, February 14, 2013

Spring-like Weather and Boysenberries

Suddenly we have weather like spring's!  It won't last, but it does allow me to get out in the garden and do some chores, start some projects, and make some plans for when spring comes to stay.

After a very expensive vet's visit (Edward the Goldendoodle has reoccurring skin issues) I decided to make do with what I have as far as planters for the boysenberry starts.  I had hoped to get 2 nice planters to put near the deck, with trellises, and big black nursery pots for the rest.  It turns out I only have 8, not 9 as I thought, one of the "sticks" was indeed a stick!  A boysenberry stem, but no roots whatsoever.  I don't know how I planted that.

I used the two yellow pots that held bell pepper and lemon cucumbers last year for two of the berries.  I had to replant some strawberry daughters from one of them, which meant I had to empty out some bulb planters for the strawberries!  I felt like I was playing musical chairs with plants!

You can't even see them, but they're in there!  There is also one stray strawberry in each pot.  As they grow they can climb the lattice behind them.

I took most of the old soil out of the pots, and filled them with a mixture of some new potting soil (that has worm casing in it), with a kitty litter pailful of peat moss, and a shovelful of the Oakleaf compost (not made from oak leaves, that's the brand, the compost the trash company makes from our yard waste).  I forgot to add the 1/2 cup of 10-10-10 fertilizer, so will have to dig it in today.  10-10-10 is an all-purpose fertilizer, 10% nitrogen, 10% phosphate, and 10% potash.  It's fine for vegetables, flowers, lawns, but my blueberries and a few other plants need a different type.

The "sticks" still look pretty much like sticks, only now they are brown sticks instead of the green sticks I planted.  But, under the soil, they show new growth.  Both the roots and new shoots are showing.  The shoots will flower (and berry) next year.  The first canes are "primocanes" and they will have flowers the second year. The flowering canes are called "floricanes."  So, they have a two year pattern, and unfortunately, unless you buy plants already two years old, you have to wait a year for any fruit. 

New root growth on Boysenberry start

New bud of a "primocane" on the Boysenberry start

No comments:

Post a Comment