Tuesday, June 25, 2013

BLUEBERRIES for real!

Blueberries!  I can't believe it!  My five little bushes (almost sticks when I got them) are actually providing us with berries!  I made muffins the other morning.  Today I picked double that amount, filling a small canning jar.  They are so sweet right off the bushes, a few don't make it to the house! 

bushes before second picking

today's harvest - June 25, 2013

Bluecrop Blueberries
The muffins were so good.  I usually make them with berries from the grocery store that I got on sale and froze.  They are tasty muffins, but the berries, even added in frozen, have a tendency to get soft and turn the batter blue.  These berries stayed whole and the muffins remained...well, they remained muffin colored!  Frozen blueberries are so refreshing to snack on when the weather's hot. 

fresh blueberry muffins
Here's the recipe. The liquid part isn't listed as exact measurements because I never knew the recipe to be that way!  It works out fine my way though.

Blueberry Muffins

2 cups unbleached flour
1/4 cup white sugar (more if you like your muffins sweeter, but no more than 1/3 cup)
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Stir those dry ingredients together.

In a measuring cup (mine has 1 cup a little down from the top, so I add to the very brim) put
1 egg and beat it with a fork.  Pour in vegetable oil a little less than the 1/2 cup mark.  Stir again.  Fill to the brim with milk.  This will be a bit more than 1 cup of liquid. If your measuring cup is exactly 1 cup, add 1/4 cup more milk to the batter.

Stir gently, over-stirred muffins are tough!  Then gently stir in 1 cup blueberries (can be frozen berries, no need to thaw), careful not to break them!

Scoop into muffin tins greased only on the bottoms (muffins need to climb the sides of the tin), sprinkle tops with granulated sugar, and bake in a 400 degree oven.  How long?  Oh, check in 10 minutes!  Remove from pan (cool muffins will stick). 

My son likes no berries, so I bake a few with just plain batter. Sometimes instead of blueberries I dice a banana and use that.  You can add nuts too. Replace part of the oil for some apple sauce and small pieces of apple.



No comments:

Post a Comment