Thursday, August 22, 2013

Compost Heap Volunteers Update

The compost heap is the best garden "bed" of them all!  It seems rather cannibalistic to have the plants thriving on the remains of their old selves!  I guess that would be self-cannibalism, which I do NOT want to think about!

I have some lovely acorn squash:



Some of what seem to be a variety of pumpkin:


The only squash I bought were pumpkin and acorn, for Halloween Jack-o-lanterns, and cooking.  So, this has to be a pumpkin as it isn't an acorn squash!

Then entire compost heap is overtaken with squash!  I'm not complaining, I'm actually thrilled and surprised.

acorn squash leaf!

acorn squash in foreground
This is what I started with; at this time I thought they were cucumbers (I also threw those out):




In the above photo you can see some small tomato seedlings. I transplanted a few, one with success.  I threw out rotten cherry tomatoes all winter, the kind that you buy in little plastic containers.  I think it is a cherry Roma.


No one in the family likes fresh squash, that's why I don't grow the ever popular zucchini!  But, we do like baked goods made with winter squash.  Any recipe calling for pumpkin can successfully be made using winter squash.  So, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cake, pumpkin cookies (just made a batch yesterday from an early ripened Cinderella pumpkin - details later), pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bread...  if I don't have pumpkin handy I use acorn squash! The flesh cooks up yellower than pumpkin, but after cooking the taste is identical.  And why not?  Pumpkins are winter squash! 

All the growth in the compost heap has slowed my ability to compost new material!  I have a side pile growing that I will have to add in after squash season!




No comments:

Post a Comment