Saturday, May 10, 2014

Annual FFA Plant Sale

The FFA (Future Farmers of America) at Crater High School in Central Point had their annual plant sale this weekend.  I went yesterday and got this (less the hanging basket, which was from Winco for only $3.88!  I got three of them.)...


2 - four packs of lemon cucumbers.  This is where I always get my lemon cucumbers.  I tried growing my own, but they always die.
2 - bell peppers, a California Wonder and a Golden Wonder.  It's cold for them right now, but it is supposed to warm up considerably in a few days.  Peppers love heat.
1 - four pack of basil
Lots of flowers - "Million Bells" or calibrachoa, verbena, bacopa (sutera cordata), African daisy, wave petunias (I am not a petunia fan, but these do look nice in hanging baskets, and I just mentioned, I bought three!)
...and a dracaena.  I liked it's looks!
All these gems came to under $20.00.  I love those Future Farmers!

It's cold and wet, but I planted anyway.  The plants were used to a cozy warm greenhouse, so they must be very shocked to be in my yard now.  I was in Ashland this morning, and there was snow on the foothills!  Snow! We do need the water, but snow in nearly mid-May?  I want spring back, and I think we are going to jump right into summer. 

lemon cucumbers - I bury most of their vines when I first plant them - 5/10/14
California Wonder Bell - 5/10/14
Golden Wonder Bell - 5/10/14
"Million Bells" or calibrachoa - 5/10/14
I dropped by Walmart this morning for a new little fan for my bedroom, and found this wonderful bargain...  and yes, I do need another ceramic planter!  Well, maybe "need" is the wrong word, but I wanted it, and it was less than half what they usually cost.  Maybe I can find a place for it in front.

Speaking of front, my new windows are being installed this Wednesday and Thursday!  They weren't cheap, but I did actually need the front two, one of which was the most expensive.  So, I went ahead and ordered new ones all around, which is actually only six.  Milgard Tuscany with prairie grids.

The front looks better already since we tore out the junipers.

Before:


After:


And I'll lose that icky mildewed, cat hair filled drapery when the new windows go in!  I have to get the painter back to repair those damaged areas where water formed bubbles under the window.  Then I can plant this area.  At first I planned iris, but now I am thinking lavender.  I have plans for a handrail in front of the step.  Isn't my front door pretty?  I love it!  All the greenery in the photo are wild violets. They are cute and pretty, but grow just like weeds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment