Saturday, November 12, 2016

Autumn Colors

Just when I think there is nothing so depressing as a spring-planted garden in fall, the sky turns blue, the temperature rises, and I'm able to get outside to see just how beautiful the colors of autumn are!  I love autumn.  I love the colors of the leaves, and the way the sun is angled in the sky so the light is different.  Oddly, the popular fall flowers, chrysanthemums, I dislike!  I don't mean I don't care for them, I mean I really dislike them !  I bought some a while back for the wonderful colors, and actually hated them so much I pulled them out!  I wish I'd grown gourds... they are the essential autumn decoration. 

asparagus - these will need to be cut back to ground level and a layer of steer manure laid down soon
plumcot
plumcot
pyracantha
pyracantha
This is the first year the pyracantha kept it's berries.  I grew up in California, where the pyracantha berries are red, but the orange variety is the only one I see around town.  I got this plant several years ago, for free.  It was completely root bound, and to move it the nursery employee had to cut a root that had grown into the ground.  It's done pretty well considering it's rough start.

blueberry
blueberry
strawberry
silly raspberries... you aren't an everbearer! 


Virginia creeper berries

No comments:

Post a Comment