Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Planning Your Spring Garden - Catalogs!

Forget the Christmas wish list (Is the Sears Christmas catalog still called the Wish Book?  Is there even a Sears Christmas catalog anymore?  For that matter, is there a Sears catalog at all?), spring seed catalogs are what I look forward to finding in my mailbox!

With the weather being what it is (rain, rain, snow, rain...) catalogs are all I can do to prepare for spring.  I can't even get out there and plant my peas.  

I never order even a quarter of what I circle, but I sure get some great ideas, and learn about new varieties.

Here are my favorite seed company catalogs, free for the asking.

Territorial Seed - www.territorialseed.com/catalog_request


Burpee - www.rareseeds.com/request-catalogus/

Gurneys - www.gurneys.com/catalog_request

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - we're too late to get a copy of the 2017 catalog, but you can download one:
www.dropbox.com/s/uui0msrp9q539sv/Low%20Res%202017%20rare%20seed%20catalog%20final%20.pdf?dl=0

It has the most gorgeous photos.  Get on the list for a 2018 catalog!
http://www.rareseeds.com/request-catalogus/

I usually purchase Territorial seeds.  They are one of several companies based in my state, and in my mind that means they are better adapted to my area.  Also,  my employer carries them, so it's convenient for me!  I did buy some flower seeds at the grocery store yesterday; they are Burpee and were much less than the package price.

Many of the seed companies offer plants as well as seeds.  I have purchased Territorial tomato plants, with mixed success.  Now I rely on local sources for all my tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.  It just isn't worth my time, effort, or money (I tried starting my own seeds in Feb. 2013... didn't work for me) to do it myself.

All's not lost in the wait for spring though, there are definite signs in the garden that winter won't last forever...  

crocus in the herb garden (between oregano and a ground-cover wall flower)

Tete-a-Tete daffodils and prostrate rosemary

some sort of dwarf Siberian iris

Luther - the plumcot/pluot






No comments:

Post a Comment