Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Repurposed Wire Fencing

A while back I mentioned getting my neighbor's old wire stock fencing.

It turns out the gauge is a bit heavy to make tomato cages, so I had my son build some trellises.  He would say that I hung over him, giving him needless orders.

The first is against one fence panel. It turned out better than I envisioned it, which is always good!  He used cable staples (Try explaining what a cable staple is to the young men in a hardware store.  No, they don't go in a staple gun. No, they are not next to the nails.  You'd think employees, and men to boot (sexist remark I know!) would know what a cable staple is, if I do!) to fasten the wire up.  It was just the right measurement to go between the fence rails!  I did not build the fence, if I had the rails would have been nailed differently.  This way uses hangers, which I am not a fan of, but will see how they last.  I was not living here when I contracted for the fence, so I get what got built.

Trellis on the fence for some sort of vines, perhaps gourds and baby pumpkins

Cable staples fasten the wire to the fence rails
Two of the big plastic containers will be filled with soil at the base of this trellis.  My son already drilled drainage in the bottoms.  Teenage sons are handy!

Then with 4' lengths of the wire, and two posts, we (he) made three portable trellises for peas or cucumber, or whatever needs some support.  The stakes are pointed on one end and the trellises span the cinder block raised bed perfectly, with the stakes in the holes.

Salvaged wire trellis - Boo and his ever present tennis ball

Cable staples again
Then... with the remaining wire, I had it cut lengthwise, and into smaller pieces, which I bend into arcs to set in planters to protect the growing baby plants.  For some odd reason Boo had been taking bites out of the newly sprouting Meeker raspberry canes.  He was also in the habit of placing his tennis ball in the first or second boysenberry pot.

Meeker raspberry with new protective barrier

Boysenberries with ball repellent barriers
A lot of nice trellises and barriers from some free scrap wire fencing and stakes costing a few dollars a pack.  I did have to make a quick run to The Grange for some bolt cutters, the wire cutters we had were not sufficient.  But, I don't count those into the cost of the projects, since tools are reused other times. 

December 31, 2017  

So, I just got a comment on this post.  It contained a link, which I did NOT try, since we shouldn't be clicking on unfamiliar links!  But, the subject was about a leopard who died after being tangled up for days in wire fencing surrounding a farm.  So, I'll pass on the warning... if you live somewhere wild animals may entangle themselves in your fencing (and you don't notice to help, or call a professional animal rescuer) be prudent in using wire!  BUT... I live in a suburban neighborhood in Southern Oregon. Too suburban for mountain lions (our version of leopards I guess), and since the street was improved in 2011 no raccoons living in the ditches.  The only human-caused casualty I am aware of is the mouse that drowned in Boo's wading pool.  I still feel bad about that, and now arrange ramps so anything falling in can crawl back out.  

But, thanks for the warning.  

Happy New Year!  We survived 2017, we can handle anything!   

No comments:

Post a Comment