Last of the Wild Blackberries

I used the last of my wild blackberries last night.  I made a delicious cobbler.  I was thinking too fondly of those brambles as I stirred the berries over the stove.  I have to remember how they were overtaking the yard!  A foot of bramble quickly became five feet, then before the summer was over, eight feet.

They did draw in the pollinators though.  In this photo there is both a bumblebee and a butterfly. 


The Boysenberry sticks better live up to their reputation!  They are my blackberry replacement.  As you may have read, I originally planned on raspberries, but nine free Boysenberries will do.  Better if they really can do well in containers.  I have their locations all planned out.  I need to get them in next month or in March.

As for the blackberry cobbler...

First Step: boiling the berries with sugar and cornstarch (yes, these are blackberries, they turned rather pink when frozen)

Ready to Bake!

Ready to Eat! 
So good, and so easy to make!
 You make this recipe in two steps.  One is the biscuit topping, the other is the berry part.

BLACKBERRY COBBLER
Berry part:
3-4 cups or so of fresh or frozen whole blackberries.  I had a medium sized freezer bag full.  
1 cup granulated sugar
1 TBS lemon juice (this helps the natural fruit pectin thicken)
2 TBS cornstarch (this also thickens it)
1/4 cup water

Place berries in a sauce pan.  In a bowl mix cornstarch and water.  Pour over berries.  Add sugar and lemon juice.  Bring to boil, stirring often.  Remove from heat and pour into the bottom of a greased 9x9 or similarly sized baking dish.  I used a metal square, but you can use a glass casserole dish too.

Biscuit topping:
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 TBS cold  margarine or butter (you can read the TBS on the cube wrapping, 6 TBS is almost all of it)
1/4 cup boiling water

Mix the dry ingredients, then cut in margarine or butter.  Add boiling water and stir until a soft dough forms.  The boiling water will melt the butter crumbles.  

Drop spoonfuls of the dough on top of the berry mixture.  Just use your judgement as to size!  Not too large or thick or it will still be doughy inside after it bakes!

400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  Check for brownness and remove when you like the looks!  I like mine a little bit crispier on top, so leave it a bit longer.  

Serve warm.  If you want top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.  It is also delicious cold!  It's good reheated for breakfast too.  
How many servings?  Hmmm... at my house not many.  4 large maybe? 

Half-eaten! 





Comments

Popular Posts