How the Herb Garden Grows...

I thought I would update the herb garden.  Like the vegetables, it has its winners and its losers as far as growth and over-all health.

We used some sage, rosemary, and thyme (hmm...something seems to be missing in that list...could it be parsley?)  in a roast chicken recipe a few nights ago. Yummy!  I just chopped the fresh herbs up and shoved them under the chicken skin.  It smelled so good as it cooked.

Speaking of good smells; when I water the herb garden all these wonderful odors waft into the air!  Especially the mints, thyme, and sage. 

CREEPING THYME:  spreading well, and covered with tiny adorable blossoms!

CREEPING THYME 5-11
CREEPING THYME 6-14




OREGANO:  it is much bigger, with long stems covered with purple flowers.  Should I have cut them off? I am not sure...I am new to herb gardening!

AMETHYST FALLS OREGANO4-13
OREGANO FLOWERS 6-14



OREGANO 6-14
SAGE: the healthiest looking of all the herbs...  a beautiful dusty green color. 

SAGE 6-14
SAGE 4-13











BASIL:  overall, not looking too good...  or at least no growth.  I did cut off some buds that were opening.  In my growing zone basil is an annual, so I guess it doesn't matter now well it does.

BASIL 4-24
BASIL 6-14

CHIVES: lookin' good!

ONION CHIVE 4-13
ONION CHIVE 6-14


CILANTRO 6-2
CILANTRO 5-6

CILANTRO:  growing larger, but I fear it is going to seed already.  It has the lacy top growth that indicates that. 


 LAVENDER: growing taller, and blossoming.  I am not sure it is getting enough sun though.

MUNSTEAD LAVENDER 4-13
LAVENDER 6-14



LEMON THYME: doing quite nicely.

LEMON THYME 4-13
LEMON THYME 6-14


ROSEMARY:  not much larger, but very healthy looking plant.

ROSEMARY 4-13
ROSEMARY 6-14











MINTS: both peppermint and chocolate mint are growing well. The chocolate mint is getting quite a bit taller.   The wooly apple mint is still small, but it got planted later than the others. 




CHOCOLATE MINT 6-14
CHOCOLATE MINT 4-13

PEPPERMINT 4-13

PEPPERMINT 6-14


Comments

Popular Posts