Refrigerated Fruit and Nut Seed Germination Update

So, what happened with those fruit and nut seeds I put in the refrigerator back in February? 
They were a mixed bag (haha, pun intended, they were in soil-filled plastic bags!) of success.

PEACHES  
Placed in the refrigerator on February 5, 2019.
One out of the three sprouted!  This was exciting as the pits were just gathered off the ground from last summer's windfall fruit.


I planted it in a small container, just barely poking through the soil.  
I really hope this matures, peaches bear true to type, and and may bear fruit in just 3 - 5 years.
If I could only grow one fruit tree, it would be peach.


PEARS
Placed in the refrigerator on February 27, 2019.
These were most surprising, as all four out of four germinated, and these were just seeds from a store-bought D'anjou pear!   Not even an organic one.


I planted all four in one small pot. I'll keep the strongest when larger.  
Pears from seed don't bear true to type, but it may be worth the time, even just for fun.

NUTS
Placed in the refrigerator on February 6, 2019.
None of the nuts germinated.  They rotted.  Only the almonds were still identifiable. They had rotted into horribly smelling gooey slime.  That kind of stuff that gets on your hands and the SMELL DOES NOT WASH OFF!  It's still there after two washings with soap, one with dish detergent and a rubbing with lemon juice! 
I think there were apple seeds in there too, but they must have rotted into nothing, as I didn't find them or the hazelnut.
The the majority of the seeds didn't grow, I really didn't expect any to, so was thrilled 
the the results!  
Especially grocery store pears!
(I live in pretty much "Pear Capital USA," so maybe my pear was fresh and, if not local, from Oregon, might have made the seeds more likely to germinate.)


Comments

Popular Posts