Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - July 2019

Welcome to Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day
July 2019!

Credit goes out to Carol who kindly offers gardeners a place to show off each month!


For my part this month I'm sharing just a random selection of various flowers around the yard. 
Nothing from specific "Garden" areas, or vegetables. 

So, without further ado, I bring you my blooms.

The Herbs 

banana mint


oregano (either Greek Mountain or an unknown gifted variety)


 woolly apple mint


 Dittany of Crete oregano


catnip (Nepeta cataria spp. citriodora 'Lemony')


The Others

mix container of dwarf cosmos, morning glory, marigolds, and snapdragon (all grown from seed direct sown into the pot)


 the cosmos

 
close-up of one morning glory


 cosmos from Dollar Tree "Wild Flower Blend"


 Lewisia


 coral bells (Heuchera 'Carnival Black Olive'), a happy former Lowe's clearance plant


 Indian blanketflower and calendulas


 black-eyed Susan (unknown type, sold just as "black-eyed Susan) and Boo (see his ball there, hidden behind a flower?)


 morning glories, volunteers from last year's one volunteer plant


 some sort of ugly aster that had to have grown from seed in a mix, or a volunteer


 cosmos 'Candy Stripe'  
Not a particularly stellar result seen all together...


but, very pretty individually



 globe gilia


 close-up of globe gilia flowers and seed pods


 calendulas, many, many calendulas, mostly Pacific Beauty mix (I'm letting the best go to seed, a lot of it is getting mildew so will need to go soon.  It might have time for a second batch to grow.)


 alyssum having a second wind


 White Grosso lavender, a bit of a disappointment in its place.  It's not as bushy as its Munstead neighbor, and much taller.


 'Bonanza' daylily


 gaura 'Siskiyou Pink'


 gaura 'Rosy Jane'


 'Siskiyou Pink' looking all white


 Blue fescue grass (Festuca glauca)


Plains coreopsis


 black-eyed Susans and lance-leaf coreopsis


Enjoy your Blooms!

Comments

  1. I have the same Gaura, but they are doing much better for you! Do you bring them in for winter or are they hardy for you there? They are marginally hardy for us in the DC area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, goodness no, I couldn't bring them in! They do die back in the winter, almost to the ground, but they are big masses of plant. Last year was the first time they self-seeded, and there are dozens of babies growing larger by the minute. I am actually preparing a bed (along the side of the front yard where iris used to do well) for some of the babies. I think they have a long taproot, so might not take to moving indoors anyway. It hasn't even reached its summer full growth yet, so isn't as showy as it gets! I've seen passers-by stop and photograph it! Not my doing, I guess it just likes it here. Good thing, not a lot likes my front yard!

      Delete
    2. I have had mine winter over about 50% of the time in DC Zone 7 in outdoor containers. It is stunning when it is in its full glory.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!
    I love Cosmos! I used to have some, must get them started here again.
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are hit or miss for me. One year I had just two "dwarf" that filled a bed, and these in the pot did nicely. Others not so well. They need water daily (even twice) on hot days lately. I just looked up the dwarf ones I had, and I wrote I didn't like them! They were too big for the space then! I love them now.

      Delete
  3. We had some dollar tree seeds too. Zinnias and marigolds in our case. Thanks for sharing your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Pollinator Garden had only a few things in it when I scattered the Wild Flower Blend, and it is jam packed with flowers! So many are self-seeding, I don't know if I'll need to buy seeds next year at all.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful blooms. That cosmos is so gorgeous and makes me want to kick myself for never getting around to planting any this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of colors ,collection of some beautiful annuals with bursting colors ,Black eyed susan and cosmos are one my favorites.Happy blooms day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts