Apple Butter

I DID IT!  I actually, successfully, made and canned apple butter!

Apple Butter

I saved a bit to use uncanned. After it cooled it was nice and thick.  The recipe suggests blending it smoother, but I like it this way.  Not lumpy by any means, but not "buttery."  I had some with breakfast on a waffle!  It has been so many years since I had my grandmother's apple butter, I don't remember if this is as good or not.  But, I am so very proud of myself!  Next is apple pie filling in quart jars. 

Thick enough not to drip! 

Apple Butter (made in a slow cooker, or Crock Pot)

6 - 6 1/2 lbs apples (I used Granny Smith I bought from a local orchard - well, they were in a box in a man's garage, but he picked them out of his orchard) - peeled, cored, and sliced
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar - packed
1 TBS ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBS vanilla (add this after 10 hours, see instructions)

* Put apples in slow cooker.  In large bowl combine all of the other ingredients but the vanilla.  Pour over apples and mix well.
* Cover and cook on low for 10 hours, stirring occasionally.
* Mixture will thicken and darken.
* Uncover and add vanilla.  Leave uncovered and continue cooking for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Stir more often at this point.
* Test a spoonful on a plate after 1 1/2 hours by putting it on a plate and cooling a few minutes.  It is ready to can if it doesn't run off the plate.
* Blend if desired, or if your apples retained some shape.
* Spoon into clean, warm jars and can.  Or you can freeze it.  Keeps in the refrigerator about 2 weeks.
* My processing is 15 minutes (10 + an extra 5 for our altitude) in a boiling water canner.  
* Makes enough for 6 half-pint Mason jars.

Comments

Popular Posts