|Thick enough not to drip!|
Apple Butter (made in a slow cooker, or Crock Pot)
6 - 6 1/2 lbs apples (I used Granny Smith) - peeled, cored, and sliced
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar - packed
1 TBS ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBS vanilla (add this after 10 hours, see instructions)
* Put apples in slow cooker. In large bowl combine all of the other ingredients but the vanilla. Pour over apples and mix well.
* Cover and cook on low for 10 hours, stirring occasionally.
* Mixture will thicken and darken.
* Uncover and add vanilla. Leave uncovered and continue cooking for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Stir more often at this point.
* Test a spoonful on a plate after 1 1/2 hours by putting it on a plate and cooling a few minutes. It is ready to can if it doesn't run off the plate.
* Blend if desired, or if your apples retained some shape.
* Spoon into clean, warm jars and can. Or you can freeze it. Keeps in the refrigerator about 2 weeks.
* My processing is 15 minutes (10 + an extra 5 for our altitude) in a boiling water canner.
* Makes enough for 6 half-pint Mason jars.