Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - May 2018

Hey, did you know that today is Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day?  
Neither did I until about two minutes ago!  

It's a monthly thing, hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.  My favorite things in one place, gardens and photos of gardens!  It pays to spend time clicking "next blog" up at the top of the page!  I've discovered a lot of wonderful blogs that way.   

www.maydreamsgardens.com/2018/05/garden-bloggers-bloom-day-may-2018.html

I have a lot blooming in my garden today!  I've included only the ornamentals, no vegetables. 

So, here goes...

penstemon - unknown variety


rockrose "Sunset"

blue fescue - whatever you do, cut those pretty seeds down before they dry and scatter!  I learned that the hard way...

iris - unknown variety

rose - unknown variety, it was here when I moved in - maybe Sterling Silver?

yarrow "Moonshine"

Sweet William

Sweet William

California poppies - closed for the evening (dark thunderstorm)

Shasta daisy

"Walker's Low" catmint

Comments

  1. That is such a gorgeous penstemon! If you ever discover its name, you'll have to share. I don't have any blue fescue, but I also have learned the hard way about several re-seeding plants:) Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I'll never know it's name. I've had it for years, but until last spring it was in a pot where it died completely back each winter, I'd show it off on the deck in the spring, and hide it away again. Now, in the ground, it did't die back (even under unseasonable snow) and has gotten huge! I love penstemon. I tried growing seeds, none even came up. I have a Firecracker penstemon coming out of dormancy I'm excited by. I only got it last year, and haven't seen it bloom yet. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  2. What beautiful flowers! I envy that gorgeous iris. I have no luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a lot about irises after getting them! I had to raise up one bed, since they don't like their "feet" wet. They are a pain to divide every few years, it's a lot of work. And they only flower for like two weeks! Then, I trim them in summer to a chevron shape to make them look nice. I just got all of mine (three types, one with several colors) free on Craigslist (so have no idea what their names are), from gardeners who had divided them. I don't have good soil, just dug in compost and made sure the rhizome was above the soil.
      Nice to see you here!

      Delete
  3. Lovely images! Happy Blogging, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some grasses can be really invasive. I spend hours each Spring weeding out their progeny but I love grasses so much it is worth it. I must find some that seed less but still give me my wispy garden fix!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts