Yum... Cherries! Ugh... Cherries!


Some of the Dwarf Stella cherries were ripe and delicious.

Dwarf Stella cherries - June 10, 2018

























Some of the cherries have holes.





Figuring it's birds, even though I've never seen a single bird near the cherry tree, I did the best I could with what I had, some netting leftover from, um, I don't remember why I bought a roll of plastic netting.  

See Boo?  He looks like a large, white chicken through the tree!  That's what's left of his Jolly Teaser Ball on the cement block.
Took a closer look today, after still seeing holes.  Guess what I saw lurking in the branch forks, and hiding among the cherries?  Guess.  If you guessed earwigs, you win!  Earwigs, the bane of my gardening existence.  The gardening year of 2018 will be defined in one word.  EARWIG!  I frantically knocked them off the branches, and mashed them with a stick!  I'm not too proud of that, but I've had enough of them to last the rest of my life! 

I found that my Safe Soap spray lists earwigs, so sprayed it around the branches and leaves (trying to avoid the cherries, even though it's safe to use up to one day of harvest).  I also sprayed it around the the other plants in the garden, but couldn't do much near the blooming ones in the Butterfly Garden due to the pollinators. 

Comments

  1. Oh, no! I believe that's what keeps taking a bite out of my strawberries. Thanks for the reminder about insecticidal soap. I'll have to pick up some. We used that a lot at the garden center where I worked in high school. I recall it even smells good in a weird way. Better luck in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd use the soap on a small area first, to make sure it's okay with the plant. This same product killed my coyote mint.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts