Something Truely Fascinating... or True Horror

This is my first
WARNING
ever on this blog, 
but I am aware that spiders 
can be triggers.  

Scroll down to the post content.
It's under some pretty pictures!

hardy germanium or cranesbill
onion chive blossom with bee
Tidy Tips
That said, get a load of this handsome fella, a jumping spider (Phidippus audax) common to North America!

 

 I brought my phone camera in close to get a good photo, 
and what does he do?
Actually bares his fangs at me!


That's right!  Iridescent green fangs (actually what sheath the fangs, like the handle of a knife), or "iridescent chelicerae."


Get a load of those eyes!  They're almost cute! 
Those are just his two primary eyes, he has six other fixed ones!  If you look closely above and slightly to the side of the big ones, you'll see two of the fixed eyes.

Not to scare you or anything, but jumping spiders have the best eyesight of all spiders, as well as being one of the most curious.  They are capable of premeditation and cognition too! 
If one looks like its watching you, following your movements with its eyes, it is!  
They are curious spiders!

After my first initial shock and disbelief that a spider actually turned and stared me down, flashing green teeth at me, I continued to take pictures!  

Jumping spiders do not spin webs to catch prey, they jump!   
Mine was trying to scare me off.  After all, I kept shoving a camera in front of its escape path! 

In case you wonder, I let him go on his way.  Spiders are good guys.  
They may be capable of biting, but they're pretty much harmless to humans.  A little itchy welt is the most the majority can cause.


Comments

Popular Posts