Welsh Onions - the inside story

As I've mentioned before, I grew Welsh onions from seed (Wintersown) last year for their flowers.
They are an perennial edible bunching onion, but I saw a photo of them growing as ornamentals and thought I'd give them a try.  

  They are not from Wales, the word likely comes from "walhaz," a word used by ancient Germanic people to refer to anything Roman.

"Welsh onion" can be traced not to Wales, but to the pre-German word walhaz, likely coined by ancient Northern Europeans to describe all things Roman, including their onions.
Mine are now in one of my raised bed (where I now have to make sure I pick the right companions for onions) and ready to bloom.

I took a close-up of one of the buds.  This is the point of this post!  I didn't have the photo for O is for Onion Day!

YOU CAN SEE THE LITTLE FLOWERS INSIDE!  IT'S LIKE LOOKING INTO A WOMB!


Closer...


A little self-contained greenhouse.  

I haven't grown onions before (I don't count planting old green onions) so had no idea what would happen.  These have big fat hollow leaves, that are hard because they are filled with air!  Maybe all onions are like that.  But, I am growing some ornamentals from bulbs and they aren't like that.


So, that's Welsh onions. 
Be back tomorrow for Q in the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge!

(People sometimes ask what I use to get close-up photos.  My old iPhone 5c.  Really, 5c.
Sometimes it gets really, really good close-ups!)

Comments

Popular Posts