Shadow Shot Sunday - September 6, 2020

How can September be a week in (tomorrow) already?  

It's Labor Day Weekend here in the US, and it's a hot one in Oregon.  
Hopefully residents and visitors will heed the advice of the health experts and avoid crowds, but I don't hold out much hope.  There was a surge of virus cases soon after Memorial Day Weekend, and this is the "last hurrah" before summer's over. 
 I'd love to be at the coast to cool down, but not now.  Probably not this year.

So, it's Sunday, which means Shadow Shot time.



Neal Lane Bridge (also called South Myrtle Creek Bridge) in Douglas County, OR
cost $1,000 to build back in 1939.  At only 42' long, it's one of the shortest covered bridges in 
Oregon.   It's also the only one in the state that uses a kingpost truss, the simplest truss with the fewest individual lengths of wood.  Neal Creek Bridge has a metal roof.  

Did you know Oregon has the most covered bridges in the West?
They aren't just an East Coast "thing!"






Comments

  1. No, I didn't know about covered bridges in Oregon. That heat - ugh - feeling for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I bought a new air conditioner not long ago. Just a room one, that vents out the front window, but I have a small house so it works.
      I've only visited a few of the bridges, I think four or five. There are over 50.

      Delete
  2. That's a beauty, I've only seen one covered bridge live in my life (in Arkansas) I need to get out more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before moving to Oregon I'd only seen one, Knight's Ferry, but you can't drive through that one. I see you have 21 covered bridges to visit!

      Delete
  3. It's been ages since I've crossed a covered bridge as a child in Vermont. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts