Southern Purple Mint Moth

In mid-August 2019 I spotted a pretty pink and orange moth, on lanceleaf coreopsis. Online research led me to believe it was a Southern Purple Mint moth, Pyrausta laticlavia, well out of its range.  Isn't it a beauty?  Moths can be as pretty as butterflies.

 


I submitted the sighting on www.butterfliesandmoths.org

and a few days ago they let me know the sighting was verified.  

https://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/sighting_details/1226152 

It's interesting to see the map of where this moth has been sighted, outside the southern states.   This is the site's first verified sighting this far north, on the west coast.  I am not sure what this means, but to me it suggests environmental changes, perhaps climate change? 

https://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Pyrausta-laticlavia

 This wasn't the only time I saw this particular type of mint moth either.  The next summer I found one on lavender. 


 I've also had orange mint moths, once actually on my pineapple mint!




I never saw any larvae or damage.


Comments

  1. I had no idea you could submit sightings like that. But it does make sense. How else do they know where these critters are if not for people submitting sightings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that site when I was trying to find out what it was. I like their map feature.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts