Tuesday Treasures - August 31, 2021

This past week has been one for artwork. Again, looking for a frame at St. Vincent de Paul (didn't find one) I discovered a few treasures.  

For just $1 I couldn't resist this vintage still life by Lloyd Oman of Santa Ana, CA.   I can find no information on him as an artist.

 I was looking for a frame for this print, which I found for $1.50 (half-off color) at Goodwill.  Picasso's Mermaid by Corteze.  The reverse has the initials EKC.  As of now I haven't found any information on the artist. 
 

You may wonder, did Picasso paint a mermaid?  Yes, and the story behind it is an interesting one. In 1948 Pablo Picasso visited a nearly completed apartment complex in Warsaw, Poland that was designed by friends.  He sketched, in charcoal, a mermaid, depicting Syrenka, the mermaid of Warsaw, symbol of the city, and prominent figure in their sculpture, coat of arms, etc.  In Picasso's version she held a hammer instead of a sword, representing his support for the post-war pacifist movements. The sketch was nearly 6' high.  
 
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/393783561166357017/visual-search/

So, the building was completed, residents moved into an apartment with a Picasso on the wall.  They were forbidden from removing it, and required to allow viewings.  Soon hundreds of visitors per day were traipsing through their home, standing and staring at their wall!  Finally, in 1953 they were granted permission to paint it over.  Apparently, by this time it was pretty well smudged up, being unfixed charcoal, so I can understand the desire to have the wall repainted.  Still...  
 
Last week I shared a painting which I thought would look better if the beige part of the frame was a different color.  I think it does.  The original beige drew my eye away from the painting, while the blue-gray I used (watered down craft paint) doesn't.
 
 

Comments

  1. Nice curb finds. I do love the Redondo Beach Pier. Had fish and chips there last year during lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. How fun to have fish and chips at the pier! I miss the ocean, not that I was THAT close living in CA, but it wasn't a far drive.

      Delete
    2. Looking back on some posts, I thought I'd comment on your Redondo Beach Pier comment, since it's random now without the context in my original post! The artist of the pier painting I deleted forwarded me an email (we'd been chatting) full of inaccurate and hateful comments about adherents to one of the world's largest religions. It was quite nasty, so I told her not to contact me again, blocked her, deleted the image here (it mentioned her website), and gave her painting away.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts