Goin' to the Dogs - A Very Special Thrifting Post

I couldn't wait for a Tuesday Treasures to share these!  

I am beyond thrilled!  As someone who loves dogs (live dogs, pictures of dogs, figurines of dogs...), I collect them (live dogs, pictures of dogs, figurines of dogs... although I currently only have one live one).  So, yesterday at St. Vincent de Paul (went because the sign read "1/2 off all Christmas") I found a mother lode for a dog figurine collector!  First, in the "Collectible Corner," where they place the items they deem worthy of a higher price, six. 

These first two were what I was most interested in, at first.  "Skippy" still bears the labels for deLee Art (a 1937-1958 company in southern CA)  Skippy dates from the 1940's.  He's been described as a fox terrier, an Airedale, and a schnauzer.   On the Canadian eBay there is one just as crazed, with less color, listed for USD $94!  $3


Collie?  German Shepherd?   Lovely ivory matte finish reminiscent of my Shawnee, McCoy, etc. pottery items.  No markings, no luck finding images online yet.  3 1/4" high.  $3


 But, I couldn't leave these behind.  In for $6, in for $18!

A 4" Staffordshire style spaniel. $2

 

A little Cocker chewing a boot, with a label reading "Niki 103."  Hard to get a good angle.  I would think that "Niki 103" would be easy to research, but nothing so far. $2

 

A pair of snobby faced Cavaliers!  I love Cavaliers, but even the real ones have a snobby look!  (At the price the puppies cost, I guess they have the right to be snobby.) 4 1/2" tall sitting, 5 1/2" long laying.  I found these in black and white online.  Know why I put Cavalier rather than Cocker or Springer, or other spaniel?  Tails.  Cavaliers, even in the US, have intact tails.  (As should ALL dogs born with them!) $4 each. 


 Then, I found another stash of dogs on glass shelves by the Christmas items.  These dogs had incredibly low prices, and were considered "1/2 off Christmas" items for some odd reason.  One was 25 cents, and the cashier didn't want to decide between 12 and 13 cents, so I ended up getting the following five dogs for $2 even.  They are no less collectible than the others!

An absolutely fantastic German terrier almost 5" high.  Impressed marks "Germany" and a number that might be 3729.   I thought I found this one online, except with brown (I like the blue!), but it has two separate hind legs, and not the detail of those wrinkles on it's legs!

How about this beauty?  A gold glazed ceramic terrier. A few online with quite a lot of the gold worn off. 

A carved wooden hound dog!  "China" is carved into his tummy.  I find much cruder examples of Chinese wood carved dogs, but nothing this smooth and detailed.

L. E. Smith pressed glass Scottie.  It has a tiny chip on the base in the front. L. E. Smith is the same company that made the Scottie creamer.

An amazingly intact panting dog!  I'd have broken that tongue off long before it got as old as it is!  Which, based on the others is probably from the 40's.  Impression reads "MADE IN CHINA."      3" long.


It looks to me that someone donated a dog collection from the 40's.  Nothing seems newer than that.  I asked it they had any more not yet out, but the woman who prices these types of items wasn't there yesterday. 

Now, my colored glass insulators need to be relocated from the hutch to make room for this pack to join the dogs already in residence!

Don't worry, I still have some nice things to share on Tuesday! 

 

Comments

  1. Wow, that's quite the haul. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite exciting! I wasn't going to leave one or two to save 50 cents or $1!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts