Tuesday Treasures - December 21, 2021

Happy Solstice!

 The day I got the dogs at St. Vincent de Paul, I also found two wonderful signed and numbered prints by what looks like Linda Lyke If anyone thinks it might be other than Cyke, let me know, as I can't find any artist by that name.  Thank you to a friend for identifying the artist!  Her L in Lyke sure doesn't look like one! She's, as I expected, a Southern California artist.  Her website has a page on just Arroyo Bridge works. They were $1 each, and in the empty frame area of the store, not art, not matted and in cheap metal tabletop frames (6"ish x 8"ish).  Out of those frames they came, and into mats and frames I happened to have on hand!  

LA Burning 3 (2/40)


  

I don't know which LA fire this depicts.  I hope to identify the artist and ask.  It's modern though, as there is a helicopter I only noticed when I posted the photo here!

Arroyo Bridge II (17/40)



Arroyo Bridge is the Colorado St. Bridge in Pasadena, CA.  Also called the Arroyo Seco Bridge, it passes over Arroyo Seco (dry stream in Spanish), a seasonal river/watershed/canyon.  It was completed in 1912, and at the time was the highest concrete bridge in the world.  It was also known as "Suicide Bridge," but after renovations (it was closed after the earthquake in 1989) a suicide prevention rail was installed.  It's part of the historic Route 66.

Don't tell me how the prints "are crooked" in the mats, which I was already told!  The printed images are not perfectly rectangular!

Also, there was a framed Paint by Number, this one from the kit called "Cute Kittens," unknown year.  I have the kit and series numbers, but no date was included in the information.


Did/do you do Paint by Numbers?  I did.  Only the horse ones.  My mother did the very first, Abstract #1, an abstract still life.  It hung in our kitchen for years.  I didn't know that was what it was until many years afterward, when she no longer had it.  
 

 

Comments

  1. Cale? Cyle? If you're not getting hits for Cyke, perhaps the name is different. It's hard to tell with the handwriting. Hopefully someone recognizes her and can tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda Lyke? Similar art on google, including what looks like a fire in the hills. I could get into this, very gratifying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a talent for interesting finds. I did some paint by number (including, dating myself, black velvet) but mainly Venus Paradise Color by Number. How I wish they would bring back the Venus Paradise sets!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts