V - Variegated

V is for Variegated.  

Variegation is simply a variety of colors, on the leaf, stem, flowers, etc. of a plant.  I will be discussing variegation in leaves, which may show as stripes, splotches, or edging.

pineapple mint - new spring growth
What causes variegation?  Viruses and mineral deficiencies can certainly cause leaves to become mottled, but that isn't what I am writing about.  I mean the beautiful patterned leaves of some sages, and thymes, of philodendrons and hostas.  These are caused by a genetic mutation  The pattern formed depends on where the mutation occurs.  White areas on the leaf are a total lack of pigment (chlorophyll), while other shades occur depending on the amount of pigment, or what other chemicals are present. 

golden sage
So, if the white areas are lacking chlorophyll, how do those plants survive? After all, plants need chlorophyll to harvest sunshine, converting it to sugar to feed the plant.  Well, a totally white-leaved plant wouldn't survive.

My pineapple mint is showing its new spring growth, sending runners out like crazy (it's in a place I encourage the invasive nature).  One is totally white.  It wouldn't survive detachment from it's runner, which connects it to the "mother plant."  Will it survive still attached?  I'll find out as it grows.  It's not unusual for pineapple mint to have totally white leaves now and again, but this is the first time I've had this pretty mutant.  

pineapple mint
There has to be enough green for photosynthesis to occur.  A plant wants to revert back to green, as you may have seen with a variegated house plant.  You buy a pretty green and white mottled philodendron, only to find new growth is solid green.  Since variegated leaves are less healthy to the plant, it replaces them with green!

If your plant is reverting, ask yourself these questions:
  • is it getting enough sun?  The plant already is at a disadvantage chlorophyll wise, and now it can't photosynthesize well in low light. 
  • has there been a change in the weather, hotter or colder?
  • is the plant over-watered? 
Of course it wants to revert to green!  It's survival is at stake!  You can try to keep the variegation going by pruning off the new green leaves.  But, sometimes the best thing you can do for the plant is to just let it go back to it's original state.  That's what it's trying to do, and it knows best!

My lemon thyme has one area of new spring growth which is totally green.   I could prune it off, but won't, since it still smells like lemon. 

lemon thyme

Do you want to grow more from your variegated plant?  Take cuttings.  If the cutting has variegation, the new plant will also.  Planting from seed is not a reliable way to do it. 

Floxley thyme - easily propagated from stem cuttings


Anything else you should know about variegated plants? Yes.  They grow slower (lack of chlorophyll will do that!), and, while they don't like too much shade, are also susceptible to sunburn.  Gardeners also need to be extra careful not to over-fertilize variegated plants to compensate for their slow growth.  Fertilizer may be stored in the soil as salts, and variegated plants don't handle that as well as green ones.

It's no wonder I've had poor success with some variegated plants!  I now know what happened to both my variegated horehound and the angel's wing catmint.  Too much sun.  There is a lot of white on this horehound!  I love them both so much, I'll try again this spring. 




















































Variegation can add beauty to a plant, but it does add a little bit of extra care.  

V was Variegated, W is something new I tried.

Comments

  1. I adore such plants! My neighbor keeps making the mistake of planting full green hostas on the southern side of the house. The opportunity to gently explain the mistake never seems to prevent itself. ~sigh~ I watch them die off every summer only to be replaced in spring. Wish I could speak up without sounding like a nosy neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that's what it was called! I love the look. It really can add some interest. Good luck with yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow - just discovered the first gardening blog! And we're on V d'oh!

    Great piece. Variegation is lovely as long as it's not overused. I do like pineapple mint, too, it was one of the very first plants I had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were surprisingly few gardening blogs. I discovered one after it ended! I guess there were multiple locations/sites to post links, and I only used the ones on the daily list after posting my own.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts