W - Winter Sowing

W is for Winter Sowing.

Winter sowing is something new I tried this year.  I should have started in December, but didn't even know about it until January.  How could I have missed this "new" way to seed?  EDITED in September 2019 - notice I started late?  That might be why I didn't like it that year.  This past winter I loved it, but did too many containers!  They got mixed up, or they lost their identification.  Also, I edited the formatting, and it's not perfect, but it's better!

It's a simple concept, and one that makes sense.  We've all planted seedlings too early, either because we risked an early sow hoping winter was gone, or planted well after our last frost date only to have a freak freeze.  Winter sowing leaves it to the seeds to know when to germinate!


horehound

Think of it this way; ever notice your volunteers, self-seeded plants, how easily they grow?  They know when to sprout without any help from us. That's why you choose seeds from "hardy" perennials or annuals, or seeds that need cold stratification.


Mediterranean hartwort
Milk jugs are a great size for any seeds, they hold enough soil to get the plant to transplant size, and are tall enough to accommodate growth vertically too.  I used large Slurpee cups and McDonald iced mocha (yum!) cups with the domed lids too, for sowing seeds of plants I only wanted a few of.   I also divided the milk jugs with a stick and planted the sides with different seeds.  I don't really need a full jug's worth of lupine or sage!  I do want a lot of rock cress and spinach though, so they got a full jug's sowing.  I did sow an awful lot of chocolate cosmos though, for the C is for Chocolate post!


parsley in a Slurpee cup
The plastic "greenhouses" keep in warmth, let in light, and enough rain should fall through the open lids.  Although once my weather warmed up, I did sneak some water into some that looked dry. 
  • So, take a milk jug, poke holes in the bottom (I also poke a bit up the sides), and cut nearly all the way around just below the handle.  Throw out the lid! 
  • Fill the bottom with good potting soil (not seed starting mix, the plants will be in the "greenhouses" long enough to need more nutrients), and wet it well. 
  • Sow seeds as recommended, sprinkle with more water if needed.
  • Close it up, duct tape the seam, and label the container with a permanent marker.  That is important!  All the little seedlings start looking alike!
  • Put the "greenhouses" outside and let them be.  
  • You'll be peeking down the holes to see what's happening!  Go ahead, just resist opening the containers. 


Winter Sown "greenhouses"

When the time's right, your seeds will germinate!  Amazing, isn't it?  I've noticed some seeds came up within days (chard and spinach), others took weeks.  A few never came up (mostly alliums), and while they still might, it's time to direct sow, so I poured the soil into beds (where they will probably now grow!). 


chocolate cosmos



Russell lupine



nasturtiums, tall and dwarf

Once your weather warms a bit during the day, you can remove the tape and open the "greenhouses," letting the plants benefit from the fresh air and unfiltered sunshine.  Make sure they aren't dried out, water if necessary, but don't get the soil soggy.

getting some sunshine

Will I be Winter Sowing next December?  Probably not!  YES, I did!  With some great results and some failures.  I can direct seed some things with better results, and now I know which method is best.  My spring comes earlier than in many parts of the country, so I can direct seed and get the same results without the bother.  My seedlings dried out quickly, since spring and warm weather arrived, and needed to come out of their "green houses" sooner than those I've seen online.  My weather just isn't cold enough to make it worth doing.  Not true, it works fine!  In 2019-2019 winter I wintersowed more than 100 containers, and many did well.  Some failed, but now I know what works best for next time.  I also got perennials that I don't need to sow again, as well as seeds from annuals to replant. 

Also, I found quite a few seedlings were just too small to transplant without damage.  Those definitely needed to be directly planted into their beds or containers. 

My tomatoes started on a heating mat and kept under a gro-light are doing well, while the Winter Sown ones are just breaking the surface of the soil now.  The volunteers from last year's Sunglow tomatoes are up in the pea bed, and a bit further along than the milk jug plantings.  So, as far as tomatoes go, why bother? 

If you live where it snows and your last frost date is way into spring, nearly summer, then give it a try.  It's not something that works for me. YES IT IS!  Plus, it's a way to garden in the dead of winter, even if you have snow! 


hardy geranium (cranesbill)


Winter Sowing was our W.  Can you even imagine a gardening X?  Stay tuned tomorrow!










Comments

  1. I imagine this would be good in colder climates. I like how they're mini greenhouses. What a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just don't need the extra growing time where I live. Online most of the success comes from people living where it's snowy and even now too cold to plant outside. You're right about it being fun though!

      Delete
  2. Until I got the milk jugs, I thought winter sowing meant putting seeds into the ground directly. I might try that and see what happens. Today I found volunteer squash and tomato plants in the backyard, far from where I tried growing them last year. That impressed me a lot. I do like your milk jug greenhouses.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I worked in lawn care for decades (too long) and it is common in southwest Ohio to overseed grasses in winter. Can hardly wait what you pick for X.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts