Six on Saturday - June 8, 2019

Happy Saturday Fellow Gardeners!

The Propagator kindly hosts gardeners worldwide each Saturday
for a virtual "show and tell" of six things!


1 - female round-leaved fluellen (Kickxia spuria)
I'd been keeping an eye on this small plant since it was a seedling, not 
sure if it was a weed, or something I planted.  Once it flowered I was still unsure, even 
after contacting the Master Gardeners at  https://ask.extension.org/
(I have had more fails than successes with "Ask an Expert."  Maybe the Master Gardeners
in my county just aren't very knowledgeable.)

I finally figured it out.  Thanks Internet!
Unfortunately, it's invasive so had to dig it out and dispose of it.
Such strange little flowers.  Some photos make them look like little mice.

I think Master Gardeners should be up on what's invasive!
Oh, how do I know it's female?  Only because the Internet said so.


2 - The cilantro has bolted, but bolted in such a pretty fashion.


3 - "Blue Tears" sedum blossoms.  Aren't they adorable?


4 - Blue Monday salvia is just a "Meh" for me.  
Oh, it's a pretty color, and grew pretty easily from seed.  Maybe I'll be more impressed in a couple
of months, if the bracts grow more.  Bracts are modified leaves, here the bright purple top.  The flowers are actually those small blossoms below that.


5 - I spotted a "baby" katydid on a poppy!  It isn't really a "baby," but a nymph.  Katydids, grasshoppers, praying mantises, true bugs, and more undergo incomplete metamorphosis, or, only three stages in their life cycle.  Egg - Nymph - Adult. 


6 - Another close-up, a hover fly on a baby's breath flower.  
Hover flies are not only pollinators, but also aphids!


It looks like it's going to be a beautiful weekend in Southern Oregon!
Clear blue skies and mild temperatures.
Perfect gardening weather!

Comments

  1. Great photos all. Love the hover fly pic especially, and those Sedum flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sometimes I get a surprise and pictures turn out better than other times! Most of the time they're just taken with my iPhone, an old 5c (I told you it was old!). I forgot how to use the "real" camera, which I got out the other day. I'll practice tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Great closeup of the katydid nymph. It looks quite ferocious and other worldly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look a bit creepy! It seems to be looking right at the camera too.

      Delete
  3. I forgot to do this. I know I can pull it off. Your plants are all going well. Insects are out there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they're doing well for early June. I have to keep reminding myself it's early in the season. Seeing your Saturday garden photos I thought you might join in! You're already taking the pictures, all it needs is to link it up!

      Delete
  4. I probably would've kept #1 because of that precious little flower face, then regretted it forever. Great shot of the sedum flowers. I've not lived in N America for about 20 yrs, so had forgotten totally about katydids. The nymph form gave me no idea what it was, so image searched it & went, ah yes. If one were ever mentioned in company, someone always had to say, 'No she didn't!' And we all laughed as if we hadn't heard it a million times. Country life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived in Oregon 8 years, and Northern California the rest of the time, and didn't even know we had katydids! I thought everything making noises were crickets or cicadas. And, it wasn't that long ago I came face to face with a cicada and was shocked how big it was!
      I loved the cute weed flower too. My county is BIG on invasive weed removal, so I don't want to harbor anything that could get away on me! We have several big name companies in the valley, one organic frozen food, so the laws are very specific about weed abatement and pest control on even backyard fruit trees. When I hear someone suggest ways to smuggle their plants into the state when moving here, I want to slap them! They don't understand just WHY it's forbidden!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts