Tuesday Treasures - From Around the World!

 Well, St. Vincent de Paul fooled me, they DID have more dogs! A shelf full (and more, over-priced, not that interesting to me, in the locked case). 

I only bought four little guys.

 My second Rio Hondo Ceramics, a CA pottery in the 30's-50's. My other one is sleeping.

Three collies, although I think this first may be a Border collie rather than a rough collie.  Maybe the old type of farm collie, which is actually making a comeback.  Mickey had one as a classmate in his second training class.

A short little fella.  I think I found this one offered on eBay with a litter puppies.

The two collies above are marked Japan.  This next one has 280 impressed on his (yes, this one is a male) chest, something I usually find on ceramic dogs from Germany. 


The Border collie was the most expensive, at $4.  The others were $2 (the top two collies) and $2.75.  I was informed these were "fair prices, I looked them up."  And that is why we don't find the bargains we used to in thrift stores and garage sales!  Everyone "looks it up."

After the Christmas stuff was put away I relocated some insulators and placed the smaller dogs in the hutch, the larger ones on a bookcase.  Some of the ones in the hutch I've had for decades!  The black and white dog with the yellow match holder (left) was bought by my mother at Goodwill for my first dog's birthday "cake"!            I was 11.



 When I need to go to Walmart (and that would be an actual "need to go to Walmart," as in needing printer ink) I usually take the trip to the Goodwill in White City.  Friday I was there and found this pretty Franz Ant. Mehlem (Franz Anton Mehlem Earthenware Factory, Bonn, Germany) Royal Bonn "Delft" cake plate.  Royal Bonn was the trade name used by the factory.  (It isn't actual delftware though, as it isn't Dutch)  Online values on these are all over the place, from lows of $30 up to $117.  Mine was a bargain at  $3.59

The impression on the back was used between 1887-1920. 

This particular cake plate has a glaze pop.  That's where a bubble in the glaze popped when it was being fired.  Since cake plates weren't used as much as an everyday dinner plate, the condition surrounding the pop isn't too bad. A bit more crazing than the rest, but no chipping.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts