Tuesday Treasures - March 1, 2022

 March 1?  Wow!  It's time to really get serious and plan out April's BIG event, the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge!  It's easy, just post something every day but Sundays in April, starting with A on the 1st.  The Theme Reveal opens on March 7th.

Anyway, any treasures this past week?  I think so! 

This Japanese vintage bone china terrier (mini schnauzer?) with pups in a basket was one of the second lot of dogs at St. Vincent de Paul. There are still a few others left, and every time I go in I check.  This one grew on me, but as I've said before, I'm cheap!  It was $5.   No chips or dings or problems at all other that being grimy, which some dish soap, warm water, and a toothbrush took care of!

I've noticed before, and I think posted about it before, that there are different versions of figurines.  This is the higher quality.   These next two photos show some I found online, of obviously lower quality.  I wonder if the nicer ones came first, and cheaper knock-offs copied?




 

 

 

 

This site shows this version, not mine. It's a nice resource for vintage dog figurines.  https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/vintagedogs/schnauzercollectable.htm

I love tiny vases!  They are so easy to display too!  These two were particularly attractive, and both signed.  75 cents each, also from St. Vincent de Paul.



























This little soapstone mouse was handmade in Kenya.  I see them online as part of a cat and mouse set.  I will keep my eyes out for the cat.  I find it's soothing, it fits in my hand with the ears between my index and middle finger and my thumb can rub its belly like a soothing stone!  I misread the price, I thought it was .75, turns out it was $1.75, but I bought it anyway.  St. Vincent de Paul

Another "If there's parking in front" stop on Saturday as I drove by.  There as a spot right in front!
 
These handy wooden stands were in two spots in the store, so it's a good thing I wander all around looking.   
                  Three of these round ones with carved bases.                                5", 3 1/2", 2 1/2"   $1, .75, .50
 
 
Two different sizes of these round. 4", 3 1/2"  .75, .50  The 4" one has "China" carved on the bottom.

 
One square with interesting carved legs.   It was more, $1.50


I doubt I'll be able to find out anything on this hummingbird window decoration.  It is marked on the back 1994 with a copyright circle.  It's detailed on both sides, so there isn't really a "front" or a "back," other than the suction cup.  $1.25  If that suction cup is from 1994 I doubt it's any good any more. 






 


 
 
 
 
 
 
Someone recently donated a lot of religious items.  Lots.  Paintings, and carvings, and prints, and crosses by the dozens.  I couldn't resist this print for it's amazing image of the Archangel Michael.  Or, I thought it was a print, which it is, but it's more.  It's a printed icon from Greece, one of the neo-classical ones available on the site. Not valuable, but certainly interesting.  .25 framed. 
 

Yes, that's Michael, the Archangel, not a young woman! 


I wondered about the scales.  They reminded me of our own Lady Justice symbolizing equality under the law (ha!).  The scales wielded by Michael also symbolize justice, but for weighing souls for judgement, to balance justice and mercy.  This depiction began in early Christian art; the concept though is straight from ancient Egypt, where Anubis would weigh one's heart against a feather.  Completely off the topic, did you know that Anubis is not, as previously believed, a jackal god?  The Egyptian jackal was reclassified as a species closer related to wolves than jackals.  So, no more Anubis, the Jackal God, it's Anubis, the Wolf God!
 
That's it for this episode of Tuesday Treasures! 

Comments

  1. Some interesting finds. I wonder about all the religious items. Someone must have died, right? It sounds like it's someone's life's collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought. I would think the family/friends would contact the person's place of worship and give them the things. Some of the items are beautiful, but I'm not religious. This was just so colorful and interesting. At first glance it looked like a tarot card.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts