Tuesday Treasures - June 7, 2022

Thrift store and Goodwill Outlet finds...

Here's a vintage painting of an American Pointer I got at St. Vincent de Paul for $2.  Signed M. Ruhr, and dated on the back "December 1966."  

It's certainly not a professional piece (Although better than I could do. I don't paint, never could, always thought of painting as covering up my pencil sketching!  I have done, and should do, pastels and charcoals.), but it has charm. It's quite reminiscent of paint by number dogs of the same time period, which I thought it was first glance, from a distance.


 
It's in its original 60's frame, which leads me to my complaint about thrift stores, mostly St. Vincent de Paul!   They have no consideration where they place their price stickers!  These old Craftint and Craftmaster (made for their paint by number kits)  frames are not solid wood, they're a light wood, with some sort of wood patterned paper, so stickers pull that paper off.  
 


On to The Bins.
 
Quite a surprise to find a Fire King mug in The Bins!  More surprising that it's a 1976 promotional one from McDonald's.  Fire King was made by Anchor Hocking, and is one of the things collectors and resellers snatch up.  Some say it's milk glass, but I don't see that milk glass "ring of fire," unless the glass is just too thick to show, but I don't know if it would even then.  Not all white glass is milk glass.  No price sticker, which always makes me wonder if some things go directly to The Bins.  This wouldn't have made it out of the store, especially at a half-off color.
 

 A vintage wooded sewing box.  I already have one, of a different design, but they are quite collectible (and some are valuable, which I can't tell from the ones that are not) and worth rescuing. This one has a rounded wood bottom. They are handy to keep things in other than sewing notions.  I rarely sew any more, other than to reattach a button.



Comments

  1. Your walls are quite full. But if you love the artwork, it's a joy to have up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a joy! I love to wake up and just look at the ones within view.

      Delete
  2. Your walls are much more interesting than mine. Although, that orange lady, didn't we talk about her before? Wouldn't want her looking at me and judging. My walls, well, there's a landscape, and over on that wall two landscapes, and here over the fireplace a landscape and over there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Lady in Orange (what I call her) is my controversial one! Some people hate her (my daughter for one), others love her. She's one of my favorites! She is judgemental, I'm glad you see it too. She was my L for the April A to Z in 2020, for poetry. https://theversesmith.blogspot.com/2020/04/l-lady-in-orange.html I got her at the White City Goodwill.

      Delete
  3. I don't have the knowledge needed to do this type of collecting. I certainly would have passed up that McDonalds cup. I went to your online link and the first thing I saw was two diamond jewelry pieces they wanted over $1,000 (each) for. But then I saw a "Vintage Japanese Chokin Art Plate" and...no, not going to bid on it. But I've already looked online and they appeal to me. Something for my further education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so much knowledge as research! I love trying to find out what is what online! Also, I follow some resellers on Instagram and they love Fire King! Yes, the online Goodwill isn't cheap, and all I've ever bought is artwork. Sometimes it was better to pay a bit more and get shipping for $1, and no auctions. I hate losing! I did have to bid and pay a lot for a specific painting I really needed to get for my son. It was by a mentor/friend who had died, and my son actually saw it in progress at the man's house. COVID hit, and they weren't able to get together, and he didn't let anyone know he had cancer.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts