Garden Poetry - Branch

Today's Positive Cookies Poetry Prompt!



BRANCH
The cedar tree sags 
overweight limbs drooping low
sticky sunlit seeds


The coincidence of this word today is that I just took photos last night of the cedar branches sagging under the weight of the seed "cones."  This cedar is actually a "false cedar," an incense cedar (Calocedrus decurrens).  "True cedars" are in the genus Cedrus, as is my Deodar cedar (Cedrus deodara). All "true cedars" are native to the middle and far east, and are in my opinion far more beautiful trees than the incense cedar!  The Deodar cedar cones look like roses carved from wood.  My tree (a female tree, if you can believe trees can be one or the other!) has only produced cones once in my seven years living here.  Which is both a blessing (they are very messy and little cedars sprout all over the yard) and, well, not a curse, but sad, in that they are so astoundingly beautiful.  Here's what they looked like back in April of 2013. 



(edited on August 29th, I saw the second line was six syllables!)

Comments

  1. I love your Haiku! Such a nice coincidence. Thank you so much for sharing interesting information about Cedars. Those cedar cones look really beautiful. Nature is full of wonders! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The cones are amazing. Each and every little "petal" has a seed, and I think each and every one of them sprouted! I was pulling out cedar seedlings for months! Big trees, I can't have them everywhere! If the tree flowers again I may try to transplant a few, but most of my open spaces are either full of cedar roots (!) or water retaining clay.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts