It Must be Sweet Meat + Squash Blossoms

This must be Sweet Meat winter squash...


Another of the same shape and texture (smooth) is forming in bed #4.


































I planted the warty French pumpkins on the left in that bed, the Sweet Meat squash on the right, and now I know it isn't the pumpkin!    How do I know?

Yesterday while checking things out for photos I discovered a pumpkin, hanging on the trellis!  It's obviously a squat pumpkin, a Galeux D' Eysine!  They are really squash too, but then again, all pumpkins are squash.  I shoved some folded squash leaves between it and the trellis to keep it from rubbing. 


I wonder when it will start to get its warts?  

The vines in bed #3 are still a mystery.  Either decorative gourds or mini pumpkins. Either would be welcome for autumn decor (except Benny the Cat loves gourds!). 

I know there are other mini pumpkins in bed #1, in the far left corner, ready to scale the fence.  They've already scaled the yellow Brandywine, and it's over 5' tall!  (sorry about the early morning sun hitting the camera)



A few, okay, probably too many, more pics of pumpkins, squash, and blossoms.  They are absolutely the most gorgeous orange, I guess it would have to be called squash blossom orange or squash blossom yellow.  Something I just recalled; when I was a little girl I called squash "squorsh."  But, then again, we pronounced "wash" "worsh" and the state was "Worshington!"  Don't know why, we were all native Californias for generations back!  It wasn't until after I married I dropped the "r."   






The bees love, love, love the squash/pumpkins!  Mostly honey bees, but quite a few of the fat black aggressive bees too.  They chase the honey bees out of the blossoms! 








Hopefully the bees won't ignore the little cucumber blossoms in favor of the squash.










Comments

  1. Amazing developments! I enjoy watching bumble and honeybees. That reminds me, too, I should refill my hummingbird feeder. Happy Gardening, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Lisa, your wonderful questions on my blog deserved special address. Our cucumber plants were designed for pickling, a smaller variety of five plants perfect for canning versus the monsters we grew last summer.

    Those big ones still made for popular pickles in 2017, but not so prolific as these. I don’t recall the exact names, but SO managed to start one variety from seed this spring and we bought four more from a garden store.

    That was a mistake. We’ve considered pulling the plants prematurely.

    We wonder if Sea Magic fertilizer dumped in excess created such voluminous production this year. My husband mixed up a big batch of the concentrated stuff a few years ago and dumped remains in the garden patch last fall.

    The rash I developed was worsened by me scratching. I’m bad about resisting the urge once an itch presents, often before I wander back into the house. But my fish tanks should be fine while I heal.

    However, since you mention it, they’re only ten and twenty-nine gallons. For whatever reason, pet stores around our region promote smaller tanks. Now that I know that larger ones are easier care with a larger variety of fresh water fish suitable, I’d go back if I could. It’s simple chemistry that a larger water sampling is easier to maintain.

    ~shakes head~

    Now I’m not allowed to get a third tank. ~sigh~ I can’t complain since we’re living on a fixed income. My husband, meanwhile, has had dreams that I turned the basement into a giant fish tank! We had to laugh.

    Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts