Excellent Herbs

I love herbs!
 
I was hoping for alliteration in the post title, but "Hopeful Herbs" or "Happy Herbs" just didn't do it, what with Herb not having the "h" sound.

Here's a bunch of photos of my herbs taken yesterday and today.  Herbs in January always make spring look closer than it feels!

catnip
lemony catnip
creeping winter savory
French tarragon
garlic chives
horehound (and weeds!)
chocolate mint
citrus basil mint
lemon balm
onion chives
Greek mountain oregano
English thyme (or ordinary garden thyme), which I severely pruned back
Foxley thyme after severe pruning
yarrow
Since my only remaining orange mint is growing wild in an abandoned bed I pulled out a few runners to grow.  They don't look like much now, but orange mint is my most invasive and I have no worries these will become big strong plants!

orange mint runner
The germander has been transplanted into the New Herb Garden ("New" to distinguish it from the original Herb Garden).  I divided it into two, plus got one very small rooted piece I've sown in a small plastic pot.  This new bed has plenty of room for spring plantings, including Winter Sown chamomile, alliums, and something new to me, spiked thyme (Thymbra spicata) or donkey hyssop (I love that name!) - knock on wood.

germander divided and transplanted in New Herb Garden
germander
germander start

Comments

Popular Posts