Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - June 2021

 Here is it, halfway through June already, and time for Garden Blogger's Bloom Day.


I have a lot in bloom, so I've tried to consolidate it a bit by a photo of the area, a mosaic of some of the flowers, and individual photos of my favorites.

And no favorite would be complete without a photo of Mickey, now 8 months old!  All I have to do is bend over to plant or take a picture, and there he is, wondering what I'm doing and is it something he'd be interested in too?  He's been known to follow behind me and dig up newly planted transplants and bulbs the moment I'm done and turn away.  This watching he does is why walks are so slow.  He stops and stares at cars, people, birds and planes in the sky...  This is American Revolution daylily, the first daylily to flower this year, other than the orange ditch lilies.  (I'll let you in on a little secret about Mickey.  That pink eye lid, pink on the bridge of his nose?  It glows bright red when he gets riled up and  ready for his daily "toddler time" fits that begin around 7:30pm!)

The Pollinator Garden 

Visible blooms are Shasta daisy Angel, larkspur (too tall), Chinese forget-me-nots, purple coneflower, sweet William, lance-leaf coreopsis, bachelor buttons, blanketflower, and alyssum.  Out of sight and blooming are wild basil, UpTick coreopsis, Rozanne hardy germanium, rocket larkspur, black cumin, and lavender Ellegance Snow.

 

Purple coneflower, black cumin, and Rocket larkspur


Butterfly Garden 

Here are yarrow Moonshine, butterfly weed Gay Butterflies, bachelor buttons, UpTick and lance-leaf coreopsis visible.  There are also strawflowers, false sunflowers, narrow-leaf milkweed, corn poppy, candytuft, and black-eyed Susan.

Pow Wow Wild Berry coneflower, false sunflower, candytuft (dwarf mixed), and strawflower.

The Toss Garden 

In its third year, this began with literal tossed leftover seeds, seed heads, and anything I deadheaded.  A lot of black-eyed Susan grows here.  Also blooming right now are various perennial and annual coreopsis, calendula, butterfly weed, narrow-leaf milkweed, borage, alyssum, Chinese forget-me-not, knautia macedonica Red Knight, and wild basil.

 

One of my favorite self-seeding annuals is the tall plains coreopsis. 

 

 Front Yard

 The corn poppies are nearly done, and torn out, so it's looking a bit bare, especially since I tore out all the blue fescue. I've been adding new perennials and transplants I've grown.  What is flowering now is gaura (I clearer out most of these, leaving just two plants), lance-leaf coreopsis (you get the idea it's really easy to grow?), gilia, tall plains coreopsis, yarrow Moonshine, and out of sight are the new plants, perennial bachelor button Amethyst Dream, Sunset Snappy blanketflower , and Pow Wow Wild Berry coneflower.

The blanketflower ( a bit disappointing, it looks exactly the same as what I already have, just shorter), Lavender Ellegance Snow, Pow Wow Wild Berry coneflower.

Lavender Munstead (that's golden oregano by it), gilia with coreopsis, gaura Siskiyou Pink, and the perennial bachelor button. 

Fruit Tree Guilds 

Fancy name for stuff planted under fruit trees.  

This is the "peach I grew from a pit" bed.  Blanket flower, yarrow Moonshine,  and a peek of rocket larkspur.  The corepsis on the left middle is in a large container.  That's more yarrow in the peach bed (parent plant of the pit I grew) in the background.

 

 Strawberry mint (the leaves smell just like strawberry jam!), blanketflowers, breadseed poppy, and rocket larkspur.  The yellow behind the mint is yarrow.

Roman chamomile under the Pluot tree. 

 
Miscellaneous  
 
Candytuft (dwarf mix), strawflower, good ol' Grandpa Ott morning glory,  and the first nasturtium, Alaska Mix.  The leaves would be enough beauty even without the flowers!


 Ditch lily, Double Dynasty dianthus, black-eyed Susan, and bachelor buttons dwarf mix.
 
 
UpTick coreopsis, borage, narrow-leaf milkweed, and Persian catmint.
 
 
Dahlias 
 
This is the first time I've grown dahlias, having avoided anything that needs digging up to protect it in the winter.  These are planted in containers, which I can move into the shed.  These three were given to me by a generous friend!  
 
Kelsey Annie Joy, Totally Tangerine, and Bishop of Dover.  I like Kelsey Annie Joy the best for the flower, but Bishop of Dover has pretty dark purple foliage I like.
 

 I could go on, but will leave it at this.  
 
Happy Gardening!
 
Oh, come back tomorrow or Thursday for a very special post about two very special unique items, calendars with grow paper pages!  I'll be showing you a sneak peek, and letting you know how you'll be able get your own.
 

 

Comments

  1. Your garden is gorgeous! I loved walking through it today. Happy Bloom Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have a lot going on in your garden this month! I love your toss garden. I should try that but, if my homemade compost is any indication, I expect it would be all cilantro/coriander (Coriandrum) with alyssum and Santa Barbara daisies (Erigeron) thrown in rather than your colorful mix. I admire your beautiful coneflowers too - I currently have just 2 small plants in a pot returning from last year but they're generally just expensive annuals here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get cucumbers and squash in my compost! Right now there is a one sunflower too. I threw my wintersowning jugs that didn't germinate in the far end of Toss Garden, just in case. I got a litchi tomato, a fennel, and something I am not sure of, I thought it was a pepper, but now the leaves are looking different. My coneflowers were just from the pollinator mix seed box from the Dollar Tree in 2019! This is their second year blooming, and I like them better this year. The plants filled out. I wish I could get cilantro to grow well.

      Delete
  3. Everything is so beautiful Lisa, you brought some sunshine and smiles to my day. I think Mickey's little secret is adorable, I bet he looks so cute riled up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute, yes, but sometimes he really gets going and is out of control. Fortunately, the dog trainers knew him before I did, and tell me he's a great dog, and such a sweetheart still learning! He's 8 months, but I only have had him for 2, he was returned to the shelter by his former owners after 4 months which left him with some issues. As I posted to you, I am so sorry for your loss. Pets are family and we feel their loss. Not making light of it, but sometimes more than with distant relatives. We knew them better, 24 hours a day and they loved us unconditionally.

      Delete
  4. What wild and crazy gardens you have here , I love them !
    Mickey makes me smile .. all the curiosity and energy of a toddler indeed.
    It will take some time before I see coneflowers and lavender flowers along with a few other more summery blooms, but seeing yours has been a treat for what is to come ;-) Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, energy of a toddler Border collie mix!

      Delete
  5. Lots of wows here. I can't quite decide on my favorite, but I think it's a tie between the butterfly weed and the purple coneflower. Your golden oregano is golden! I wish I had the room for a toss garden. By the way, your comment on my banana mint - it's the first year I ever saw it for sale so it's brand new to me. The seller was a produce stand that also sells plants in the spring and they also had the strawberry mint. Kicking myself that I didn't buy that, too. I haven't tried the banana mint yet but does it ever smell just like bananas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, get strawberry mint if you see it! It's got a much smaller leaf than others, and so many flowers that the bees love. They may like it more than my woolly apple mint, which is a huge mass of plants now that pop up all over! This is the time of year the golden oregano is really, really golden! Summer it sort of fades and the edges brown. I should prune it back, but there is so much of it. And, I should divide it by now, never have, but there is so much of it!

      Delete
  6. If I was a butterfly, your garden would be the place I would stay. The coreposis is really stunning - I might need to track down that variety.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UpTick is really nice, and spreads so easily.

      Delete
  7. Your garden is amazing! So much color and textures. My favorite is your pollinator garden. Yours is definitely #gardengoals. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For flowers the Pollinator Garden can't be beat. I like different kinds herbs, even if I don't use them, so that area is probably my favorite. Right now, it would be the Pollinator Garden!

      Delete
  8. I love your colorful garden and the photograph of Mickey with the flower is priceless! You have so many wonderful blooms and have created a wonderful haven for our pollinators! Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts