A Treasure Trove of Artwork

Looking for more Putz Houses (see upcoming post Dec. 9th) at St. Vincent de Paul a few days ago, I came across (and bought) some artwork.

Two 1950's, in 1950's frames, paint-by-number Jesuses. $1each!  (I collect vintage paint-by-numbers.)

I found one other of this scene online.  Jesus healing the crowd.

This one is more difficult. There are lots of versions of the "Lamb of God" in paint-by-number form, and a few are quite similar, but size/shape and details differ.


I have mentioned before that I don't, as a rule, buy giclee prints.  This was an exception, it's a limited edition, 858/1000, by P. Buckley Moss called "Farm Life."  It was issued in 1994, for $85, and has since sold out, other than an artist proof for $215.  There is one for sale online for $75.  Pretty good buy for $2!  I usually take the chance on inexpensive prints if they are signed and numbered.  This one is quite quaint.   And beautifully matted and framed.  I usually cut off frames here to show the artwork closer.  This is under glass, so that's the glare and reflection.


I like the boy up the tree!  I wonder if the girl below knows he's up there?


I didn't even hesitate to pay $5 for this print. I can't make out the signature.  It depicts Rothenburg, Germany, the Plönlein (little square), with Seibers Tower on the left, and the Kobolzell Gate on the right.

I'm not sure it it's an etching, or a mono-print or...  perhaps the color details are watercolor.  I just don't know enough about print making to tell.  I know the image was pressed into the paper.



It too is very nicely framed, done at a shop in Massachusetts no longer in business.

 

Comments

  1. You found some nice artwork. It kind of makes me sad that things like this get donated, although it's better than throwing them in the trash, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, both about it being sad, and better than the trash. I have a few pieces to re-donate back the them! Not to Goodwill, they may end up in the bins, but St. Vincent de Paul, which keeps the artwork forever it seems.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts