Tuesday Treasures - Wonderful Bins - November 29, 2022

As I mentioned last Treasures post, I went to the Goodwill Bins searching for some warmer clothing now that the weather has changed.  Sure, there are clothing stores, but it's fun to find such bargains, plus it reduces waste, reuses resources, and recycles clothing.  Also, now that I see what nice clothing I can find, it's hard to pay retail!

After the clothing, I discovered some true treasures.  The regular sellers were all there, so I was thrilled to find these before they did.  Or, perhaps they didn't want to bother shipping something as large as a camel!

Yes, I found a blow mold camel.  Maybe you have one, or an entire nativity set of blow mold figures.  Lucky you if so!  These were popular during the late 70's and early 80's (which doesn't sound so long ago to me, but apparently it is), and were mostly sold at K-Mart, home improvement centers (ours was called Simon Hardware*) and the like.  Electronics (corded items) at the Bins are 69 per pound, and this guy's big, so he was a whopping $3.73. He still lights up too!


Another blow mold, dated between 1996 and 2000 (which seems so recent, yet is over 20 years old at the youngest!) is this Jack-o-lantern pail.  I will guess mine was pretty much from the same mold in the 60's.  This Bins visit was before Halloween, so I was able to use this for an indoor decoration.


A breakable (glass frames) was this 7" x 7" vintage needlepoint in a vintage wooden frame (not shown) was 10¢ a pound.  It weighs far less than a pound.
 

Always stuff...
 
A comb-bound cook book from a dance studio.  Most of the recipes look like they were contributed by children, however, I'm not sure what that section of The Hot Flashes was about!  I do think Miss Sue had the right idea with her favorite dessert!

  
 A little stuffed cat.  It's still a bit sphagnum mossy from the bins!
 
 
 
* I have two Simon Hardware memories!  One, James MacArthur (of Hawaii Five-O fame, he played Dan of "Book 'em Danno" fame) was there for a meet and greet.  Why?  I was too little to know, I just remember seeing a man standing a bit bewildered, with no one meeting and greeting him!  Maybe my parents did, but they weren't the sort to have taken the short drive down to Simon's to meet a television actor, we must have been there to buy sandpaper or nails. Two, it was the location of a city time capsule, and my family was there when it was sealed. It was to be opened in 2000, but the store closed before that, in 1998, and it was discovered someone had used a sledgehammer to break into concrete column, stealing the capsule and the plaque describing what what in the column.  We'll never know what the community thought the future of 2000 would be like.   What a strange thing to bother stealing...

 

Comments

  1. Okay, so the stealing of a time capsule just begs for a story. I can think of a couple reasons why someone would steal it, but I doubt those are the actual reasons. Maybe one day I'll write it.

    Oh yes, I do remember salt dough items. I think I may still have some somewhere. I was too young to know that's what they were, but with your description, yeah, I know we were given some. Or bought some? The memory is hazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new magazine I got in the mail (I read actual books and magazines, not ereaders) has a feature on making salt dough ornaments!

      Delete
  2. I certainly remember salt dough, and I made ornaments with it one year. I doubt I have them anymore but maybe I should go look. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of my old ones exist. They crumbled. As I commented to Liz, a new magazine just came a few days ago, with how to make salt dough ornaments!

      Delete
    2. My daughter and I made dough ornaments, and the dog ate them off the tree! All good to her! Does that popper work??!! Mine just stopped working after many years and the new one I got isn't nearly as good. That's a great bin find!

      Delete
    3. That's funny! I would think all that salt would have made the dog vomit. The popper does work, I plugged it in there to make sure. We had one like this, it was my daughter's and she took it with her when she moved. Not as easy as the microwave kind, but far cheaper once you have the popper, especially bin price!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts