Tuesday Treasures - The Dog Days of Thrifting - November 8, 2022

 It was a collie week not long ago.  Between St. Vincent de Paul and my friend, I added five collies to my collections.  Three for the dog collection, two for the salt and peppers.  

I went to St. Vincent de Paul a few days after I went with the friend (last post) specifically to get a piece of 12" x 16" glass for a frame I already had to use for that Gilhooley nude.  I did get it by buying a cheap frame for $1.  

I had to trim the mats to fit, and found that once again an artist used both sides of the watercolor paper!   Dogwood?  If so, another dog!


 I preferred the nude.  The painting with mats was under $1 from the Bins ($1.59lb, or less depending on weight, the more the cheaper), the frame free off a curb in January, and $1 for the frame glass.  Yes, if you look closely I didn't get the mat completely professional-grade even!   Just don't look closely.

Of course I had to walk past the collectibles to get to the frames.

 First there was a collie figurine for $1.50.


Then, on the next fixture were these salt and pepper collies made in Japan with cork stoppers.  They are only a little different, so I would have trouble telling salt from pepper if I used them.

I also picked up a clear glass ball, because, why not?  It's very heavy.  I gave it to my son.  I'm not sure why, or what he's going to do with it.

I also bought a nice frame for 50 cents. I took out the Christmas print that was in it to donate back somewhere, as it wasn't my sort of thing. The frame's an odd size, 11" x 17", which is always good to have just in case.

Comments

  1. If that glass ball is clear then it can be fun to take photos with using a macro setting on your camera. You have to be careful holding the ball in sunlight or it will act like a magnifying glass and sting your hand. You get an upside down image so I just turn the photo to correct it.
    I love the nude as well and especially loved your writeup on the process of finding and mounting it. Kudos to you for your find.
    Love the salt and pepper shakers. My MIL and I have an ongoing discussion about a set she has. They look just alike except the number of holes is different. Salt flows better than pepper so it has less holes. She has put the salt in the pepper shaker and vice versa. She doesn't believe me. That's okay, I love her anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea to try with the glass ball! Thanks for telling me about it. I know some of my salt and pepper shakers have different numbers of holes, as well as some have different size holes. Pepper has smaller holes, and as you wrote, more. The holes in these collies are so slightly different, and both on the black fur part of the head, you'd have to really get them up close in your face to count! Nice to hear you love your MIL! Mine was a Tartar! Better than the FIL, who was an alcoholic, but not by much.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, glass ball. I have a small one (well, it's crystal) just because.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this blog post's title. I look forward to seeing your photographic experiments with the glass ball. I don't own one but I've seen examples from various people, including Yogi, and it's pretty cool. My favorite find was the dogwood you didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you like flowers and birds in art, right? :)

      Delete
  4. I think those dogwoods are so pretty. Is that paper so expensive, I wonder? Well it's a bonus if you ever get tired of the nude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, pretty, but ordinary. I have a few floral still lifes I've saved from the bins, but haven't done anything with. I have old floral prints too, which I do like more than the paintings.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts