The Best of the Bins - A Saturday Special

 Some of the Tuesday Treasure posts have featured treasures I've rescued from the Goodwill Bins (or Goodwill Outlet).  I may sing its praises a bit often!  For those of you who haven't ventured out to find the one in your city, here are some my finds that might get you going.  I call them The Best of the Bins.  It's the things that are the most valuable, showing you can find real treasures in all that salvage.  Also, some of my favorite finds for my collections, which are valuable in a different way.

How about the loveseat, clean and like new, for $2?  With cats and dogs (just one dog now, and two cats) I don't buy new furniture.  I've never paid so little!


A like new pair of Propèt grey suede Delaney boots, still sold in stores for $80 and more, in a perfect fit!  Price?  Well, at $1.59 a pound, not much.

This king comfortable is reversible.  Blues and yellow, like my room. Again, with pets it doesn't pay to buy new, and this is Mickey's bed too.  The blankets/comforters/sleeping bags are priced at $2.


My first trip there I found this Italian embossed leather purse, made in Florence.  I use it daily, unless it's summer and then I use a different purse from the Bins!


For my collection, this little American Eskimo ceramic figure.  It's amazing that anything can stay unbroken in those bins. 10¢ lb. so cost was under a cent.


Another collectible, this 1940's pie bird, also a 10¢ lb. item.


It's even possible to find artwork with value.

Like this small Edward Enriquez, Guanajato.  It's one of my favorites.  His other works of this size are $150. There are several I'd love to have.  https://www.enriquezart.com/shop


These two mixed medias by Danish American artist Helle Hamilton were found in two different bins.  The artist has an interesting bio, one I shared in June.  Since then I've found more about her.  The surname Hamilton is her married name. She married in 1967, and her husband's best man, and brother, was the actor George Hamilton. She was so well-known in her own right (I think due to her famous grandfather), that there is an original press photo for sale on eBay for $20.  It's her engagement photo, when she was just 20.  The mixed medias are Kanalen I and Kanalen II (meaning canal or channel), signed, dated ('89) and numbered (1/1) by the artist.  Oh, professionally matted and framed as well.



This antique brass man in the moon would sell for upwards of $100.


Then, there are all the clothes I've bought!  Lots of clothes.  I have never had so many pair of jeans, or sweaters and tops.  I even threw in a few dresses, which I haven't worn in years, "just in case."  "Just in case" what, I don't know.


Also, slippers and more leather purses!  New, unworn slippers.  I wear the bootie ones most of the day!


I hope I've tempted you to go rummage around in your own Goodwill Outlet bins!  Be prepared.  They are dirty. Sometimes there is broken glass.  I once hooked my finger on a fishing lure. Expect to spend a minimum of one hour, more if you look through the clothing.  And, remember, as soon as you get ready to leave, they may roll out the old bins, and bring in the new!  That's when the crowds of resellers form.  I let them go at it, and see what they've unearthed.  I see them as the rhinos stirring up bugs and I am the bird following behind!
I'm hoping the weather warms a bit so I can plant peas and get back to posting about gardening!

Comments

  1. I wouldn't even begin to know where the bins would be in my city. I'm sure I could find it online. You've found so many treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably have many more retail stores than I do. There are only four within a reasonable driving distance, and one of those is a bit far (Ashland) and not a good one considering it's location. I wouldn't go to the outlet as often if it were further away, but it's nearly as close as St. Vincent de Paul. Not even twice as far. It's cheap fun! I've even seen yarn... :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts