Tuesday Treasures - February 21, 2023

I love this unsigned painting I got at St. Vincent de Paul.  It's cottonwood trees in autumn.   This is the one that I alluded to in my favorite thrifted art of 2022.   My favorite for December 2022, and one of my top three favorites.  16" x 20" $4 





 I think it's a great companion to A Bañarse and what I call Palo Fierro.   My three favorites all in one place!  It didn't come in a frame, I got that one later, and unsuccessfully tried to stain the grey/blue part a bit more teal.  I only recently noticed they all feature trees and a road!



There were two vintage hardcover books as well.

Now, I'll admit the Uncle Remus stories are quite controversial, and there are some in here that are very inappropriate.  I was unfamiliar with most of the stories in this volume, published in 1921.


It does have some fabulous illustrations.  The opossum is just playin' 'possum!


Tom Swift and His Flying Lab was published in 1954.  This is the first in the second series, where Tom's son, Tom Swift Jr. takes over as the main character.  Does anyone remember when Tom Swift was the butt of joke titles?  Tom Swift and His... I didn't read them, maybe my brother's did, but even my mother came up with silly Tom Swift titles!  Tom Swift and His Electric Grandmother was one of them!

As always, a fun time!



Comments

  1. Interesting that your favorite paintings have a theme. It's always fun to find old books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son and I both love old books. They are usually cheap too (as "old" book doesn't mean "valuable" book!). The most we've paid is $25 for his first of a 1902 illustrated edition of Through the Looking-Glass, and that was on 1/2 off day. When we lived in CA there was a Half-Price Books, and I miss it. We have a lack of bookstores here. Just one big chain, a religious one in the mall, and an overpriced used one near the grocery store. I think I'd have to drive to Ashland for one, but it's downtown and it's a pain to drive and park in downtown Ashland! Tourists and college students... neither group uses crosswalks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts