So Much to Share! - May 22, 2023

 I did go to the city-wide sales on Saturday.  You knew I would, didn't you?  First around 8:30, just in the closest neighborhoods, which is a pretty dependable yard sale area. 

The first trip out ended at 10:30ish.  I know it was before 11:00 because I had to get to Starbucks to make a banana bread purchase for extra stars before 11:00!

After a coffee and banana bread break (Mickey loves banana bread) I went back out, still nearby, then picked up a friend to venture further from home.  Still, we didn't hit most, here were hundreds.  

Last year I spend $2.50 on five items.  I didn't count my items, but did find more than five this year!  I spent under $20.  Some was coin saved in a 1990 Skippy peanut butter commemorative jar (100th anniversary of peanut butter it says) shaped like a... squirrel?  It looks like a beaver with a big flat tail, but they couldn't have made a fluffy one that stuck out.  I'll have to look into what Skippy is.

Here are some of the more interesting items from Saturday. 

A little American Eskimo dog figurine made in Japan.  A brass incense burner. A tiny print (part of Goya's Boy in Red) made in Spain, I liked the frame. A USA made tile.


A puzzling pair of cats.  The other faces the opposite direction, and has a bow tie.  Unfortunately, the head was glued back on, and there are ear chips.  This looks like McMaster Craft pottery (Canada 1938-1988), but...  M.W. was scratched into the bottoms when the clay was still wet.  It's possible after the company closed they sold the molds, which often happens with potteries.  Still, the colors are the authentic sort, and drip-glaze was one of their finishes.  So, maybe McMaster Craft.  Maybe not.


Just one of a pair of Siamese salt and pepper shakers (with cork stopper), two pretty frames of an odd size, 10 1/2 4) which were free (I threw out the modern prints that were in them), and a copper colored metal spaniel of just under 2".  


I have no information on this, and there is no way to get any, as it's a handmade cutter of some sort.  I like how they took extra time to cut in the decorations, even on the ends.  It's most likely antique (which is 100 years or more).  The man who sold it to me, for 25¢, joked that he had 60 years experience being age 26, so it may have even belonged to his mother.

From the same eternal 26 year old I got this Indiana Glass avocado green hen on nest (I learned that collectors just would write HON).  The man told me it was more than 60 years old, which is why he joked about 60 years.  For someone over 60 (me) that isn't that old! Right?

Guess what else he had?  A Fenton cat head shoe, in Daisy and Button (or Daisy Button) pattern!  I didn't even see it, my friend asked, "Don't you collect these?"  I wasn't really paying attention, as I'd been to that sale earlier.  It was easy to drive in circles and end up at the same sale more than once!  I do collect the Fenton shoes, this is my first Daisy and Button, and a color I don't have in the hobnail.  Only $1!


Pots for the garden... 50¢ and free.


Sunday is the day to search for free leftovers on curbs!  That neighborhood is good for that on even random Monday mornings in summer after weekend sales.

My back fence is chain link, since it was an empty lot behind it when I moved in.  When the duplexes were built they put up a wooden fence, 8' on my side, 6' on theirs due to them raising the elevation.  Anyway, there is about a foot or foot and a half between the two, and the wooden boards have shrunk, so Mickey can see activity in the common area, and if it's dogs will bark. And refuse to come in.  So...  I hope these free rolls of old bamboo fencing just stuck down between the two fences will block his view!  I'd seen them for sale the day before.

 
One driveway full of free stuff was at a house I've bought from in the past.    It's where I got a box of insulators in 2021, and nice booties and Skechers last year.  , I got mostly brand new frames.  Big ones.  Nice ones.  This is some of them.



The last thing I'll share is from there also.  It's metal art.  It's quite attractive being rusty!  It's along the lines of those organic ones made of dried grasses.  




All in all, I'd say I put in six hours of yard saling!  

Oh, I forgot Mickey!  First sale netted him a squeaky dragon, and a very hard nubbly chew toy.  I had no idea it squeaked, I can't make it no matter how hard I push.  It takes a big dog's strong jaws!  



I have a bunch of garden things to post too.  So I might do that this afternoon.  You can see a bug flew into his face!

While tomorrow is still Tuesday Treasures, it's only one item, so no long thrifting post the day after this long one!  





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts