Tuesday Treasures - May 09, 2023

 Another after-shopping Goodwill trip at the one nearest me.

On the last end cap, where the brown items are (the end caps are arranged by color in all my local Goodwill stores), I spotted a Scotty dog down on a lower shelf, in the dark.  I hoped it was metal, and it was!  Cast iron, and vintage.  It's a doorstop, although now they are also sold to be bookends.  He's very heavy.


 Yes, he's peeing!  That's how he holds open the door, with his cocked leg!

 He was a fair thrift store price; I paid $5.66.  Others for sale online run $40 or so.


I clutched him to me, and turned around to see a new cart being rolled out.  And there, right in front of me was a small wall pocket!

It's quite old, and stamped MADE IN JAPAN.


and... because it's only one thing and I needed a post in which to stick it...  this from St. Vincent de Paul for only 25¢.

A portrait of a young man.  It's made of tin and celluloid.  I thought it was just an old photo.  It's actually a Victorian Era (1837-1901) mourning badge.  These were displayed on tables at funerals or in the home at the turn of the last century.  It's fairly large, 7 3/4" x 5 3/4".  

Copyright holder unknown.  I own the photo, but not the copyright. Being it's over 100 years old, it's safe to assume the photographer is no longer living, and as it's probably been at least 70 years, the copyright has expired.  It would now be in public domain.  I do not like that law (the 70 years after the author/photographer death thing), but it is what it is.  In the unlikely event the photographer is around to see this, I'll happily give credit, or remove the image.


Comments

  1. Sad to think such a young man died, but that does happen all the time. Great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thrifting but as we try to downsize and minimize, I had to stop. Too many impulse buys. The scotty dog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts