Tuesday Treasures - September 28, 2021

 Just one trip to a thrift store this past week, but it was a good one.   A good thrift store, my favorite Goodwill in White City, and a good trip.  I was able to find three original framed paintings, two framed fruit labels, and an adorable ceramic wall pocket planter shaped like a birdhouse.  

First the wall pocket. 


  Now the fruit labels.  They are from the 50's and were nicely framed at a local shop.   I've actually picked fruit in Brentwood, CA (not the southern CA Brentwood, the agricultural one east of the Bay Area), although not cherries, Fuji apples.  $1.79 each.  I have two other framed labels I got at a garage sale years ago, labels from canned fish!  

 They're definitely blue and ruby red, right? 

A floral still life.  Not my usual pick, but I liked the diffused colors, the bit of blur to it.  And the price was right for $2.69!  Signed by either H or M Dykman.  There are listed artists by both initials, but this isn't by either of them.

A traditional portrait of a thoroughbred horse.  No signature, and no title or name of the horse showing.  It's framed well and I don't want to remove the back to check.  Another that isn't my usual, but under $4 I liked it, and know I'd be able to sell it if I decide to;  these portraits are quite collectible.  The painting is actually a brighter chestnut than it looks, due to my camera and trying to avoid reflections. 

A landscape/waterscape signed by the allusive Lola in 2004.  The image is brighter on this one too, and lacks the reflection of white coming up from the bottom on the right!  $3.59.

  I'm still working on identifying the location. 

You may well ask, "Do you have space for more paintings?"  Yes, I do!  




Comments

  1. I once saw a picture of a couple who had paintings covering every square inch of their walls, so I imagine you could find the room to hang more if you so choose :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The horse, it looks very young. The tail is so short! I think the more paintings the better! I stop and look at mine all the time and they make me happy. Did you have a job picking fruit? Or was it a you-pick place. Either way, hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be young, I thought maybe the tail was bobbed. Quite a few racehorse paintings have a bobbed tailed subject. Horrid practice, horse or dog... or anything else I don't know about.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts