Martha Washington

I know, Martha Washington sounds like a really random person to blog about on a primarily gardening blog.  But, hear me out!

I was reading an old (not very old, this past March) Smithsonian I got from the free pile at the library, and there was an article about Martha Washington.  Not as the first First Lady, but as a woman, what she herself was like and what she liked.  

It mentioned how we usually picture Martha as an older woman, a bit round, wearing a cap, because that's what she looked like when her portrait was painted by Gilbert Stuart.  She was 65 at the time. 

Portraits of her as a thinner, younger woman show her in quite fashionable, low-cut, expensive clothing.  A few of her dresses are still around, and one is the reason for this post.  

all photos: https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1089608

Now, that looks like a fine dress for a fine woman to be wearing in the 1780's, right?  Well, take a look at close-ups of the fabric pattern!






That's right, it's a pattern of insects, spiders, and even grubs!  Why?

The Smithsonian article quotes a historian of material culture who believes that Martha Washington was a closet (my word) naturalist!  As a woman living in her era, she would have been unable to be a true naturalist, as that was reserved for men.  This dress is not the only hint that the theory may be true.  Martha also had cushions she (with help from her "enslaved" women) made with seashell designs, and one of her surviving personal books is 12 Months of Flowers, which she valued enough to hang onto from her first marriage. 

I enjoy nature, but draw the line wearing clothing of spider, grub, and beetle fabric! 

 


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. It is. Now we have "pretty" insects like butterflies and ladybugs!

      Delete
  2. When I saw Martha Washington, I thought you were going to blog about Martha Washington geraniums! But I was far from disappointed. One of my first cousins is married to someone with a masters degree in entomology and I'm sure he will love this post. Speaking of Martha Washington geraniums, all the nurseries sell them in the spring. I had one miserable experience with them. They sure are tricky, at least around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even thought of the geraniums! They're annuals here, so I don't bother. They just don't have the time to get big. In CA I had huge ones, but we are just a tiny bit colder now. Some people don't like the smell, but I love it.

      Delete
  3. I just love the random bits of knowledge I get from your blog. I think the bugs on the dress are wonderful! The Dutch Masters floral arrangement paintings always have a lot of bugs tucked in amongst the flowers, and snails and bird's nests too! I enjoy bug art quite a bit and have some nice pieces of bug jewelry. Um. Maybe not grubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like true bugs. I used to have golden bee pins back in the late 70s. I don't know where they went. I wonder if she had the fabric made to order?

      Delete
  4. What an interesting pattern on the dress. Creepy, sure. But I could totally see a woman who's into that sort of thing wanting to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she could secretly wear her passion! Most people probably didn't even notice. They'd be looking too closely at her!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts