Six on Saturday - November 13, 2021

 Six on Saturday 

1 - I found a variegated catnip growing in the Toss Garden the other day.  I have thrown catnip and catmint seed heads over there, so something took.  I think it's a regular catnip.  It smells less like lemon (lemony catnip) and more like cat pee, which is what I think catnip leaves smell like!  It's very pretty, and none of my other catnips or catmints are variegated.

2 - The Draper blueberry had a hard time getting through some extra hot days this past summer, but it made it and has its pretty autumn colors going.
 

3 - I almost missed the flowers on the creeping winter savory.  I'd cut back the big one, and this little one is in a container by the rosemary.  I wondered why the rosemary had branches of white flowers, and it was the savory.  You can certainly see they're related.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 - Big mushrooms at the park.

5 -  I grew a carrot.  Okay, many of you grow many carrots a year, but I do not grow carrots successfully.  This one was from The Growable Calendar seed paper, and I thought it was going to be a purple carrot by the top, but it was orange under the ground.  That's okay, it was delicious and I grew it!


6 - I cut back the Persian catmint (I think perhaps my favorite of all my plants!) and thought I'd try out rooting some.  It is working, and has even bloomed.  Too much work for the plants to be though, it needs to put its energy into roots, so I need to cut it off.

It's damp and grey and I won't be gardening today.  It's not cold, but it just looks like it should be, so I'm not going out!

Comments

  1. Congrats on the carrot. I know sometimes it's things that everyone else does just fine that flummox us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I just can't do well with root crops, even in raised beds.

      Delete
  2. I smiled at the carrot story because we find it so difficult to grow cucumbers. It mut be a common experience for gardeners - to not have luck with one thing? I don't know much about catnip (I don't grow it) so was pleased to read about your variegated catnip find. Unfortunately, whatever we grow as variegated, our experience is that it either dies out after a year or two or turns all green. The one exception was pineapple mint. Kind of strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried lemon cucumbers? I have best success with them, and like the more than others. I also did well with White Wonder, seeds from Project Purity. Just direct seeded. I know what you mean about variegated plants. They tend to die on me if I buy them. The pineapple mine, like you say, is fine. If they have too much white they can't make energy, so maybe that's why. One of my lemon thyme is solid green.

      Delete
  3. I have given up growing vegetables (except for rocket and a few lettuces) altogether. Just too hard, and if we go away for a short break they become feral quickly and unmanageable. I’m sticking to flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for the carrot! It's still a good size though. I had to have a row and I only have a few ....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts