Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - August 2022

 Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day for August 2022

Taken in small snippets it looks like there are plenty of flowers mid-August, but all I see are the dying black-eyed Susans and yarrow that needs to be cut back.  

Veitch's Blue globe thistle, blanketflower and gladiola (the darker is Ruffled Coral Lace), four o'clocks that smell so wonderful

blazing star, lance-leaf coreopsis mixed in with reblooming Persian catmint, wild sunflower

 In the background of the sunflowers is the neighbor's magnolia tree in the sunrise.  It looks like either autumn color, or dying.  It's not!


another blanketflower, artichoke with a sleeping bee, volunteer statice, one of the best last black-eyed Susan



This is the Toss Garden.
 


calendula (it's time to let it go to seed), Blue Jeans Baby Russian sage, one of the last remaining daylilies, Grape Magic

rain lily (because I used the sprinkler), a few Chinese forget-me-nots, purple coneflower, second flower of Moonshine yarrow

Shasta daisy, Little Lemon goldenrod, Red Riding Hood penstemon (which blooms again if cut back the first time)

There are a few others.  A second bloom on some butterfly weed, alyssum, a few new false sunflower blooms, one sweet pea plant, morning glories... it was a bad year for annuals.  No zinnias or cosmos to speak of. 

Fall is on the way.  Plants are dying back or forming seeds.  Nights are cooler, although days are still in the 90's, and later this week will be 100's again.  I'm tired of watering, and am letting some things just go.  Vegetables have suffered in the heat, even warm weather lovers like bush beans and cucumbers, which were left with crispy leaves. 

 


Comments

  1. Nice post! I enjoyed seeing your blooms. Glad you have some pretty blooms in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice, but certainly shows the season is shutting down.

      Delete
  2. I mistakenly bought the Little Red Ridinghood Penstemon this spring. It was labeled as a different plant. It's certainly pretty but I don't think it's getting enough sun. Yours looks wonderful; is it getting full sun? I might have to pass mine on to someone whose yard is sunnier than mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, I made a mistake, it's Red Riding Hood penstemon, no Little and two words! Mine is in full sun, even hot afternoon sun. It doesn't look stellar right now, these second blooms. A few months ago it was fabulous! I have several, they are so easy to divide or root pieces in water. I'm zone 8b.

      Delete
  3. I just love all of your gorgeous flowers! There are too many pretty ones to even pick favorites, though those ruffled gladioli are stunning! And the penstemon is so pretty. I planted some Rocky Mountain penstemon I grew from seed this year and really hope I'll get to see it bloom next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very nice selection. I enjoyed the flowers that won't grow in my zone the most - the rain lily and the artichoke. But they were all nice to view.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is full of so many different types of beautiful blooms. A real joy to look at.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts